Honda CB750 Sandcast

Another Sandy on BAT

42barab · 15 · 1572

4pots1969

• View Profile
Quite frankly ... What is this strange paint color on the crankcases and the cylinder/cylinder head block?
Never seen such a color on a Sandcast...  Unless it is the rendering of the photos which have this effect?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:06:33 pm by 4pots1969 »

42barab

• View Profile
Bodywork color looks a little off as well.  Seat may not be “correct” for a Sandy.  Should the oil filter housing be finned on a 5xxx sn?

stsgro

• View Profile
The carb to airbox rubbers seem to be the later style with the extra rib on the carb side. If I'm right, if, I am surprised that a detail like that would make it out of that restoration shop.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Look carefully, you will find others!
For example, the plug to connect the 14 mm oil pressure gauge when normally it is a 17 mm...
But after all, everyone is free to do according to their means ...
But we are not talking about $20.000,000 on this Sandcast... but rather $50.000,000  :o
so at this price no excuse is allowed and especially no bad part  ;)
Me, I call it a reconstruction but not a restoration ...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:21:19 pm by 4pots1969 »

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I wonder what the point is of displaying a screen shot of our VIN directory  with pairings not even close to that VIN range?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:49:25 pm by Wayne »
[size=

4pots1969

• View Profile
A another even more worrying detail...
These very late carburetor bodies from the end of K0 and beginning of K1?
 Is this possible on such a machine?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:23:11 pm by 4pots1969 »

stsgro

• View Profile
I got to say, one thing I have really enjoyed about my restoration is getting the details "correct". I think we all do. It's the next level of the hunt. Find the bike, find the parts, get it done. At the level of this auction bike, that all should be finished.

The last BaT Sandcast had a letter from Vic World in the comments verifying how great it was.

stsgro

• View Profile

Me, I call it a reconstruction but not a restoration ...

This ^^^   I recently sold a completely professionally restored H1 on BaT and they would not let me use the word "restoration" in the description.

42barab

• View Profile
A another even more worrying detail...
These very late carburetor bodies from the end of K0 and beginning of K1?
 Is this possible on such a machine?

4pots

J’ai les mêmes marques de moulage sur restauré 2659/E2839.  Si l’on examine la liste des 92 distinctions, il n’a pas été fait mention de cette différence.  Je ne doute pas de votre expertise.  Je voudrais savoir où la discussion de cette fonctionnalité peut être trouvée?

I have the same casting marks on restored 2659/E2839.  Looking at the 92 Distinctions list, there was no mention of this difference.  I don't doubt your expertise.  I would like to know where the discussion of this feature can be found?

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hello 42barab :)
Nothing written on this subject to my knowledge ...
I noticed this little detail on two or three K0s very very late when the production of the K0 and the K1 was going to "overlap" and therefore when the carburetor bodies started to be modified seen from Production K1 ...
I don't know if I am making myself understood with the translator ...?
You will notice the same detail in the photo of the K2 carburetors and there is the same detail on the K1s .
And I don't think the Honda factory made two kinds of carburetor bodies during the official Sandcast period...
It must therefore be deduced that this model of carburetor is very very late in the production of the Diecast K0 and very close to the production of the K1 ...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:31:14 pm by 4pots1969 »

42barab

• View Profile
So carburetors still controlled by four cables but NOT found on any correct Sandcast?  After a quick look (tank installed) at my carbs, I did not see a model (7A for example) onto the carburetor flat next to the mounting plate.  What is the correct model number(s) for correct carbs? 

Donc, les carburateurs sont toujours contrôlés par quatre câbles mais ne se trouvent pas sur un Sandcast correct? Après un rapide coup d'œil (réservoir installé) à mes glucides, je n'ai pas vu de modèle (7A par exemple) sur le plat du carburateur à côté de la plaque de montage. Quel est le ou les numéros de modèle corrects pour les glucides corrects?

4pots1969

• View Profile
Yes, they are always at 4 cables, but for me they are not correct for the
Sandcast period because they are much too late and surely after E-1040000 >>>>
The reference is written on the top of the support plate B750A but it is perhaps the same reference on the support
of the very late carburettors and that will not tell you more, you have to rely only on the body of the carburetor. .

But after, that these are only my observations and my conclusions ...
What could it be else?  All opinions are welcome !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:53:15 pm by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Very early in 1970 at least this feature was seen. Maybe around VIN 21000.  All sandcasts and 69 model decants had the single dimple and this mark was on the other side (or right side) of the carb body. The twin dimple is always on the choke lever side, or left side, of the carb body.
Yabba Dabba KP