Honda CB750 Sandcast

engine #456

the-oz-slider

• View Profile
Hello all, Ive been offered a bike that has engine #456 installed in a K3-K5 frame and running gear.....
Its a real mongrelski, but the engine appears to have been restamped as the "B" is clearly overstamped [B/E] and looks a little hokey....I suspect it was a warranty engine poorly stamped by the local dealer. Photos are poor, but it has four cable carbs, and the seller says it has a 9 bolt clutch cover. It doesnt have the smooth oil filter but that not a concern to me as such.
Further, its been painted black and I cant tell if its a real sandcast or not.
Next problem is finding a matching frame and that appears to be why the bike hasnt sold already as anyone with any knowledge of these bikes would be facing the exact same issues Im facing in trying to determine is it real or a scam? and without a frame to match then of course its value is only $X.
Id be surprised if someone on this site doesnt already know about the bike and has maybe passed judgment on it already.
Comments please. And what is the motor worth? Its in Canada.
Al

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Al, thanks for your pm to me about this eng.#456.

You've covered a number of details on what sounds to be two different bikes, so it's unclear to know how to answer what you want to know.

If you would be so kind as to ask specific questions, that would help us help you.

Also if you have any pictures of the irregularities in the stamping of the 456 vin that would give us something to study.

Kind regards,
Steve

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The motor isn't actually worth that much as it's obviously had a set of replacement cases and there is little different from this engine to say a 10,000 number. If the 9 hole cover is there, the thin lip alternator cover, early cam chain adjuster, head, barrels and maybe other bits such as thin profile cam cradles and early cam cover. Yes it all adds up but it's not the crown jewels you've found. You could maybe find a set of any sandcast cases and swap
The carbs may be worth a good amount depending what they actually are. If they are the small vent pipe type then they are very hard to find items and worth probably more than the engine If they have the 28 caps even better
I also like my "help" posts to be acknowledged so I know they information I've offered has been read
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The stamping is clearly poorly done. Also the vin pad doesn’t look like a typical sandcast pad to me. Steve and KP have offered some pretty clear insight and questions. I’d be asking for a clear image of the clutch cover area, particularly the 5 o’clockish position that should be void of a fastener, it’s not difficult to point a camera or phone at that area. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:24:48 am by Wayne »
[size=

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re-stamped for sure and quite likely a set of die-cast cases too judging by the appearance of the VIN pad.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hello The-oz-slider my friend,

You must forget that and run away very quickly !

4pots1969
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:54:19 pm by 4pots1969 »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree with 4pots, this is not an engine that you likely want to own!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608