Honda CB750 Sandcast

Early KO 10 hole seat pan

Paul Mayer

• View Profile
Hello, I am a new member and happy to be here. I have vin#179, purchased from the original owner. Restoration is in progress, but I bought an aftermarket seat so I could ride it. I would like to restore the original seat because the pan is in great shape. The foam is dry and falling apart, and the cover is hard and brittle. Is there anyone out there who restores seats or sells the foam and an exact pattern replica cover?
Cheers
Paul Mayer

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Paul, You can't get the foam these days and even if you found good foam it would't last. What I do is keep my original seat intact and buy a red foam reproduction from Yamiya in Japan. Yamiya also sell probably the best replica seat cover there is. All I can offer in assistance, others may be able to offer more info.
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome! Congrats on your purchase!

You can soften the seat cover and stretch it over replacement foam. Yamiya750.com sells foam. Make sure you get the red foam of course.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Paul Mayer

• View Profile
Thank you! The seat I have on it now ( can’t remember if it’s Yamiya or something else) looks good, but as I recall the pattern and exact shape doesn’t match my original.  My original seat just sits though, and I just brought it inside because the cold/hot temps from being in my shop is making it worse. What do you use to soften? I’ve used Armorall but it doesn’t seem to help. I will look for the red foam. I don’t want to sell it. If I ever need to sell my sandcast, it’ll go with it.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You can see my technique in my timelapse restoring #538. I cleaned the cover, then heated it and did my best to moisturize it with off-the-shelf synthetic leather treatments.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

acruz

• View Profile
Welcome Paul.  Can you post a few pictures of your sandcast?  We love pics on this site especially these early sandcasts which have some of the rarest parts of all. 
Thanks
Arnold

Joe1028

• View Profile
Hi...
How is Yamiya to order and deal with from USA ?
Normal shipping time, payment etc?.
Thanks, Joe

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Many of us have been ordering from them for many years. Very reliable. I’m sure Covid will slow things down a bit. I don’t hesitate to order from them.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Joe1028

• View Profile
Hi Sam...
 Thanks for quick reply..
I noticed most of the posts and activity are fairly old. Is it due to most sandcast's have been restored and completed by now?
   Thanks Joe

acruz

• View Profile
Hi Joe, i think you will be satisfied with the yamiya seat.  One option that i have been doing is to use the seat from yamiya and when i get a chance to restore the original one, I can replace the yamiya seat and use it on the next CB750. This way you can enjoy your bike at the same time.

Don R

• View Profile
 Recently Yamiya has not had the red foam or any replacement seats with red foam. Hopefully that will change in the future.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Put your name down at Yamiya They are selling to those who place an order (no deposit required). Seems they have lots of orders so fail to get on the website for sale. I'm waiting on an exhaust Over 12 months now
I do have a Yamiya white sponge seat for sale if anyone needs one for a K0. Brand new
Yabba Dabba KP

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Im seeing it as available. Im able to add it to my cart and pay for it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608