Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Bike in the shop vin 3604

1941wld · 12 · 5034

1941wld

• View Profile
Hi Guys,
Just got my next new project, vin 3979/3604. The bike was loaded with period accessories. Honda faring, Honda rear luggage rack with matching Honda box with pillow back rest, a padded sissy bar, a solid front foot rest cross bar, dueling horns (hi/lo tones). It took most of the day taking pictures and stripping the accessories. The side covers are very brittle, will have to be replaced. Also the major item is the wiring harness is fried, looks like signs of a fire by the top tree where the wires come out of the handlebars. So I'm looking for a wiring harness, rectifier assy, regulator, fuse box (I can get from Honda) and maybe a starter switch (maybe). If any one has a part for sale, please post a note. Also I see Honda is still producting the harness 32100-300-050. Best Regards, 1941wld

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:10:22 pm by 1941wld »

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice find Conrad. Can I have your front fender?  ;) I see 7137 is listed on Ebay. I don't see it in the directory either. 2 more sandcasts found!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Honda-CB750-Original-Sandcast-Motorcycle-/270571239845?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3eff4d79a5

(shouldn't it be listed as a 69)  ???
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Yes, congrats.  

(shouldn't it be listed as a 69)  ???

My 5383 was licensed as a '70 when I bought it, probably because that was the year it was sold.  In Minnesota, vehicles are usually licensed for the year they were manufactured.  So I had my title "corrected" to '69.  It took some additional paperwork and a letter from American Honda stating that is was manufactured in '69 but I like it better this way.

By the way, shouldn't this be posted in another section?

Mark  
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
(shouldn't it be listed as a 69)  ???

Mark  
[/quote]

Yes, it should have been Mark. I just thought I woud add it in as a another found with Conrads.
[size=

1941wld

• View Profile
Hi Guys,
This is the first road block, the one I dislike the most. The gas tank that I thought had gas turned to varnish inside, I was wrong, it's some type of liner. What a time comsuming project. The best way I know of to get this liner out is to use a solvent to reduce/liquifly the liner. I'm trying lacquar thinner to wash it out. Any ideas out there?

1941wld

• View Profile
Update, Donzie is thinking this liner is RED-Kote. So I looked it up and guess what? Ofcourse I'm using the wrong stuff. Read below. I'm off to Lowes to get a gallon of MEK.

Red-Kote may be thinned with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or Acetone. Do not use lacquer thinner to dilute Red-Kote.

Best Regards
1941wld

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i don't know what base red kote is, but kreem is mek base.  most liners are mek based, worth a try.  i just used POR-15 to save the 17L on 2157, i am very please with the result, not sure what will take out POR-15, but it is a base far superior to kreem.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For Kreem or Por-15, it should come out with paint stripper containing Methylene Chloride. I believe the same product will dissolve Red-Kote.

Something I have done to make sure a tank is well sealed before going to the painter is to have it nickel plated. I haven't done this so much with a restoration, but rather a tank that has been custom made or one we welded up. I have my plating guy give it a good dip in the nickel and it seals any pinholes. Hit it lightly with the sandblaster before primer for good adhesion and you have extra insurance against leaks, especially if you are spending 5 grand or more on paint!  :)

To clean the insides good we throw in a handfull of drywall screws and find a way to rotate the tank slowly. BBQ spit, clothes dryer (I think Steve S did that) We found drywall screws roughed up the inside of the tank which of course would allow for better adhesion if you are going to use a sealer again.

Caswell actually recommends the same. Again, the custom guys I have worked with a lot swear by Caswells sealer. Almost everyone I know that hand builds tanks uses the Caswell product.
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Mark  

Mark, I thought your comment was to me for dicussing the Ebay bike in the thread. I see now that the thread is in the wrong category altogether! I'm moving it now.  ;D
[size=

1941wld

• View Profile
Update:
The Red-Kote is gone. The mek did the trick. There is a light coat of rust in the tank. Now I'm going to drop the tank in to a drum full of "Safe Rust Remover".
The slides were stuck in the carbs, I've ben spraying them down with WD40. They finialy lossend up late last light. Put the whole set in the ultrasonic cleaner with a little bakeing soda.

cb7504

• View Profile
Conrad:
          Nice snag on your new acquisition #3604. Keep us up to date as things progress. Marty K.