Honda CB750 Sandcast

New member in the UK

kettle738

• View Profile

Hi all, I'm a newbie, my name is Mick Taylor, I live in Ivychurch, Kent, in the UK.

I've had an interest in vintage Japanese bikes for the best part of 30 years, all sorts of bikes, all Japanese, currently including three Suzuki GT750 kettles, an RE5 rotary, a Kawasaki Z1, Yamaha XS2 and an early '72 Honda CB750K2 (1,300m from new)

It is my latest acquisition that sparked my request to join this forum though, a bike I have wanted for a long while and I finally got to buy it.  The bike is a CB750, chassis number 1010369.  Not a sandcast, but an interesting bike all the same; those into numbers wouldn't take too long to confirm that this chassis number belongs to the first CB750 off the production line destined for sale in the UK. That makes it the first UK Japanese four cylinder bike, first disc braked etc etc, a little piece of motorcycling history in it's own right, manufactured 22nd October 1969 and sold in the UK in January 1970.

OK, it's not a sandcast!.....no, but I really needed to join this forum;  I love the depth and breadth of knowledge that surfaces here, and I have to say, this forum is something special, there is so much discussion around seemingly microscopic detail that simply can't be found anywhere else and that is priceless.

My K0 is not a sandcast, but with the exception of the engine casings it has way more similarities to the sandcast bikes than to anything else in the CB750 range; so much of the detail on your bikes is pertinent to mine....and if it isn't then I need to learn and there is no better place to do that.

I took the K0 out for a first spin a couple of days back, it's a hoot, I can't remember the last time I found a bike quite so unexpectedly exciting.......so different to the rather anodyne Z1 which I think is living on borrowed time in my garage......I would quite happily dispense with that and hunt down a sandcast.....probably will.

Before the K0 the two best rides in my garage were the RE5 rotary (yes really) and the CB750K2, but they both moved down one notch now.

Mick..............kettle738

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Mick,

A warm welcome to the club !

Thank you for your kind words.  Seems us "1-44649" guys like attention to detail !

An RE5 ?  I saw my 1st RE5 at a dealer show in '75; had the futuristic round tinted clear plastic instrument cover that was electronically controlled to open and close......  Made 2 years, if i recall corectly, the '76 did not have this unique inst.cover.......... ?  Anyhow, i'f better not talk anymore about RE5's on this website  ;D

steve

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Mick,
Welcome!
Is your bike by any chance "UUT ---H"? A piece of UK CB7501 history for sure. AS you say, barring the crankcase detail essentially the same spec as the sandcast'.
Just aquired a 9/69 die cast myself (#1008054), which I hope to ride soon. Will be interesting to see how it compares to my sandcast out on the road.

Chris R. (Sheffield)
Chris R.
302/338

kettle738

• View Profile

Hi Chris, yes it is UUT ***H, lovely bike and just great to ride and I haven't had to do a great deal to it.

There was a bit of an issue with a leaking carb that had me puzzled for a while as the float valve seemed to work perfectly, turns out there was a hairline split along most of the length of the overflow pipe inside the float bowl; a little low melting point solder fixed that one, no more fume filled garage.

I must be honest I'm really keen on a sandcast now; this K0 is so different from the CB750K2 which admittedly has such low mileage it's probably not properly loosened up yet, I wonder how different an earlier bike might be, but it can wait for the right bike at the right moment.

I guess you have one of the books that refers to UUT?

Regards.......................Mick.

markb

• View Profile
OK...so what's a UUT?
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kettle738

• View Profile

Sadly UUT is nothing special, it's just the first part of the registration mark; this bike has featured in a few books and magazines so I guess it's a recogniseable number if you live in the UK and you have an interest in these bikes, and you have the books.

There are a couple of others that were road test bikes and Honda advertising bikes that are properly famous....in CB750 circles, way more so than mine.

Mick.............kettle738