Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Member in San Clemente

paul65k

• View Profile
Hi guys,

My name is Paul and I live in San Clemente, CA (Exactly 1/2 way between Los Angeles and San Diego on the Coast).

I am just beginning on what I hope will be a great project. I recently came across a "Barn Find" 69 Sandcast SN 1003915 that I just bought from the original owner. He put 24,000 miles on the bike before parking it in his garage in East LA in 1975.

The bike is complete.....all the way to the original "Black Plate" although it hasn't run for 35 years!!! All the chrome has very mild surface rust and while it cleans up there is just enough corrosion to need re-plating. I don't have the engine number with me but will post soon enough.....although I do remember it being within very close range to the frame.....less than 100 off I think.

I have mucho work to do starting with the gas tank that still has probably 2 gallons of 1975 gas in it..........hopefully the rust is minimal but we'll see soon enough. The seat cover is complete with no tears although the foam is pretty bad as I think he had something heavy on the seat all that time under a cover.

I'm not sure if this is a candidate for a 100 point restoration (is that what it's called for motorcycles?) but I have restored quite a few 60's Pony Cars and like those I plan to use reproductions ONLY when the NOS is unavailable, crazy expensive or just won't be seen or obvious. I have a couple of Harleys that I ride on a regular basis....(100th Anniversary Road King and 2002 FXDWG3) but I can still remember my dad taking me to the Honda dealer when I was 10 years old to show me the bike that was going to "change everything"....and when I had a chance to buy this one for less than $1000 I couldn't say no......so I'm on my way to adding a vintage gem to the collection.

Paul B.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:20:38 am by paul65k »

cb7504

• View Profile
Paul:
      Welcome to the web site and thanks for sharing your find of a diamond in the rough. Take pictures of your restoration project (before, during, and after completion you will happy you did, if you would like to share your pictures on this web site please do so. If you have questions please ask as there is a lot of knowledgeable members here ready and willing to help. Enjoy the web site. Marty K.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard Paul. As stated earlier we love pictures. Let me know if you would like a thread set up thatyou can document your restoration on and I will do that for you. That way the whole process is in one neat and tidy thread. Good luck!
[size=

paul65k

• View Profile
Wow.....thanks Wayne that would be great!!

I have the bike at a friends house right now until I cam make room in the garage.....read sell a car......but plan to get over there and get a mess of pictures.

A place to keep them and watch the progress would be great!!

PB

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No problem Paul. Once your bike is in the registry I will set up the thread for you and you can document away! The gents here will need confirmation of your frame and engine number to register the bike.
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Paul,

WELCOME !

Can you send me your engine vin so i can get the frame and engine numbers in the VIN Directory and also get you in the Member Registry ?

Thanks in advance !

Steve Swan