Sandcast No number exhaust

Exhaust
0 (0%)
pipes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

sandyrun

• View Profile
I am new for these sandcast bikes, I have had bikes since early 70's and have restored several bikes before, I am process to restore sandcast 5920 / 6000
Frame had some modifications, but is fixed now. Question what I have is exhaust, came with original exhaust, and they may be useful but shows age, some stracthes some rust etc, But cleaned decent. Shoud I keep them or buy new no number pipes?
I took some pictures, before and after, and take more as I go  

This sandcast club is great source for all info, so thank you all.  8)

Revskid

• Pumping Canola?
    • View Profile
I could be wrong here, but I understand unstamped mufflers are quite hard to find. It all depends on what sort of restoration you want to do! the original unstamped mufflers on my bike did not last 3 years without
#3 rotting out. My dad who first owned the bike replaced them with a set of 2 into 2 shorty drag pipes. I blame this for my consequent hearing loss due to tinnitus.

In effecting the restoration they were replaced with a stamped version.

Of personal interest here; One of the pipes we found was actually sitting in the local Honda dealership. I am suspicious that it was ordered for my dad who then ordered shortys for it after he discovered the price of the single pipe replacement. It then sat in the shop for all those years!  After obtaining the remaining three pipes, I can confirm this cost me more than my dad paid for the bike in total in 1970. I know this, as I still have the original bill of sale!   

Paul H.