Honda CB750 Sandcast

Exhaust manufacturer Vietnam? says he makes for Honda company!!!!

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Deleted
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:55:53 pm by ashimotok0 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I'm skeptical until proven otherwise.  We already know the ft.fenders are not a good quality and need corrections before plating.

Exhaust have to be built right on spec to fit right on.  Otherwise, what would one do if they don't fit at all or look spot on ?

This fellow builds for "a" Honda company -or- "the" Honda company ?

Wonder what Honda would do if they............. ?

Not that I'm all about bargain, I also know i get what amount i pay for, at least that's generally more often my experience than not.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Point taken Steve. I am quite happy with the HM300's with markings I got from David Silvers for my K0 but surely it's worth further investigation. The guy has been extremely helpful with me and possibly just needs pointers as to where to improve his products and what we will pay to receive a product, which has that little extra attention to detail we require. I will let you know  how the unchromed fender looks when I receive it. I just think Yamiyas 1300USD plus shipping and duties/tax for a double cut fender is ridiculously expensive, particularly as it is supposed to be made from the OEM tooling and is not hand made. Regarding the rear fender, it is probably safer to get the later K1 OEM Honda one, weld up the holes and replate but an expensive exercise.

Regarding 'Wonder what Honda would do if they............. ?' --   they don't seem to go for Yamiya so why go for these people? Pity they chose to go for David Silver - he has kept restorers going over the years. Those 300 pipes only cost me £525 including VAT and shipping 18 months ago

Cheers AshD
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:40:14 pm by ashimotok0 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Ash, your points are equally well taken.  My skepticism lies in knowing Honda must and can only sell parts that meet their stringent production specifications.  It seems clear to me the fenders do not meet a spec acceptable to Honda, so i can only assume these "double cut" fenders are not purchased by Honda.  If the exhaust don't meet Honda specs, i cannot imagine Honda buying them.  Two things i don't know, 1.  do the mufflers meet Honda spec?  and 2.  If these Vietnamese exhaust meet Honda spec, are the exhaust truly being sold to the Honda Motorcycle Company  ?  

The short of it is, I guess, I/we don't know have answers to these questions.  The bottom line would be a hearing from a SOOC member who buys a set of these exhaust for evaluation and fitting.

As I wrote my first post, I also thought of the fact Yamiya does not, at least yet, appear to be in Honda's cross hairs.  I am suspecting Yamiya has already considered such liability and has a relationship, somewhere with somebody, we do not know about.

If this Vietnamese manufacturer is making a high quality exhaust, it would be great to know first hand what these exhaust are like.  

Once we have first hand knowledge of the quality of the exhasut, it becomes irrelevant who "a Honda company in Japan" actually is that may be or is actually buying them.

Absolutely, as you say and I agree, "Surely it's worth further investigation."  Will be very interesting to learn more from who ever the member may be who does the investigation.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Why not get the guy to join us here to promote his products and allay our fears!! I will email him today.

Quote from Steve  "My skepticism lies in knowing Honda must and can only sell parts that meet their stringent production specifications. It seems clear to me the fenders do not meet a spec acceptable to Honda" .

My question is "Do The Honda fenders meet a spec acceptable to us". I sent my K0/K1/early K2 front fender  from DSS back, due to imperfections in the chrome. They agreed it was not of an acceptable standard but had to check TWELVE he had in stock in order to find an acceptable one. DSS said that there was no point complaining to Honda in case they stopped manufacturing the part. I have also heard that the chrome yellows very quicky and also people had had problems with fit and finish on exhausts. Points covers are another issue on poor quality too - Need I go on!! Not personally dealt with Yamiya but looking at their ducktail seat I would imagine the quality is very good on their chromed items

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:13:57 am by ashimotok0 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Would be good if someone made a copy of the K0 exhausts and sold them at reasonable cost. From what I've seen on eBay, the NOS K0/K1 exhausts currently sold by a variety of sellers (and I've seen these as low as $995 for HM300s) are a good price so I'm not complaining about this product. What I'm referring to is somebody making a set of no #, no indent exhausts without the extra writing for around $1000 to say $1250. There is no doubt the quality of the Yamiya exhaust is superb, but at $2022 they are very expensive.
So if the Vietnamese product is of good quality and half the price then we would have another seller in the market and this cannot hurt us, the end purchaser. Alas though, I suspect the point of getting what you pay for could be valid if the feedback given on the double cut and rear is an indication. There is absolutely no point in doing a full restoration at great expense only to short cut on double cut and exhausts. A daily/weekend rider is another matter though and the value for money argument becomes a logical consideration
BUT and I mean BUT  ;D Wouldn't it be great if someone made these exhausts in STAINLESS  :P KP
Yabba Dabba KP

kettle738

• View Profile

I couldn't help but notice this sentence with some concern.

Regarding 'Wonder what Honda would do if they............. ?' --   they don't seem to go for Yamiya so why go for these people? Pity they chose to go for David Silver - he has kept restorers going over the years. Those 300 pipes only cost me £525 including VAT and shipping 18 months ago.

Having been a regular repeat customer of David Silver for more years than I can remember, they are a company with a reputation second to none, their customer service is something other traders should try to aspire to.......so what on earth have Honda got against them?  I wouldn't have some of the bikes I do without David Silver.

Mick................kettle738

kettle738

• View Profile

Please ignore the last, I just found the David Silver Thread...........unbelievable!

Mick................kettle738

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Contacted the manufacturer in Vietnam as below:

Hi Eric please see this link started by me AshimotoK0

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=363.0

Please join us on the forum and hopefully get some good business!!

Kind regards,

Ashley

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ash, That is amazing to find this information out. There is a second site you can go to to get some of the parts Yamiya sells if members don't already know of it. These items are a little cheaper than Yamiya but don't have the range Yamiya does. It's also in english and they respond with speed to my emails KP
http://japan.webike.net/
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Yes I love to squirrel out info, its all part of the hobby!! Like I found out that all of the repro seats in the UK seem to come from Gloucestershire but from several companies all traced back to Morretti. Then I sussed that DSS sell the same ones and possibly CMSNL but they hammer them on price so you are better paying a bit more and going directly to Morretti to get a better fit and finish. even the repro steel seat bases come from Gloucestershire (BryanJ's 'neck of the woods')

Eric the guy in Vietnam seems a really great guy and no sooner have I emailed him he replies back! I quizzed him on the tooling costs for double cut but he has asked me not to post any commercial stuff on this site. I have to respect that.  I told him to chill out a bit and not work so hard!!!  I have found communicating with Yamiya very difficult.

Cheers

Ash

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Removed post with info from Honda Classics - I feel I may have been making information public about his business. Sorry!

Ash

PM me if you want the info again

ashimotok0

• View Profile
My latest comms with Eric at Honda Classics - STEVE please chip in here if you think I am posting too much on this subject!!

Thanks Eric - hope you had a good trip - the fender cleaned up nicely.

I am planning on  taking the polished fender to a guy called Chris in the UK who is the expert here on CB750 'Sandcast' / KO. If Chris approves it then many members  could  want one as people really respect his judgement!!!!!!!!!

I am really interested in other CB750 parts you make particularly if you make the 'ducktail' red foam seat.

Can you send me pictures of the exhausts you make - I already have these NOS because my bike is K0 not Sandcast but other members are interested in no number or 'Lotus root' exhausts

Eric - I have removed any comments posted on the Sand-cast forum which relate to your business because I don't want to jeopardize your relations with your Japanese customers.

Your email responses have been marvellous and I thank you so much for your kind help and take care now.

Best regards,

Ashley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:56:57 pm by ashimotok0 »