Honda CB750 Sandcast

Restoration of Sandcast #97

markb · 814 · 285323

DW69K0

• View Profile
Looks awesome Mark!
I have learned many new techniques and a wealth of information from your posts over the last few years.
Can't wait to see it continue to progress.
DW

4pots1969

• View Profile
Cool...This time it's the icing on the cake!!
The Honda factory used the same technique to put the engine in the frame as it is the most precise.  When one remembers the state of the bike from the beginning and now there really shed a small tear of happiness...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:29:51 am by 4pots1969 »

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow! That is just gorgeous Mark. I can't believe that's the same bike from the beginning of this thread. Stunning!
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Thanks guys for all your kind words and helpful comments.

Wow! That is just gorgeous Mark. I can't believe that's the same bike from the beginning of this thread. Stunning!

Do you mean this one?  :o

Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep, and especially knowing what the inside of that gorgeous engine looked like before, and is actually going to run now! I can't wait see the rest come together.  :)
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Yep, and especially knowing what the inside of that gorgeous engine looked like before, and is actually going to run now! I can't wait see the rest come together.  :)

Mark should have plenty of time to get 97 finished.  Winter lasts until July where he lives.  ;D

markb

• View Profile
Mark should have plenty of time to get 97 finished.  Winter lasts until July where he lives.  ;D

Sad but almost true!  ::) ;D
Mark B

markb

• View Profile
I got the engine mounts torqued down.  I love those original “Big 8” hex head bolts.  Here’s the right front bracket…

…and the rear bracket…

…and the left side front bolt.

I don’t mean to be too anal here but in this case I call them bolts instead of screws.  An old mechanic, a long time ago, taught me that they’re called bolts when used with a nut and screws when they go into a tapped hole.  Of course you guys all know that.  ;)  :D
Mark B

DW69K0

• View Profile
Love those stunning zinc large 8 bolt heads against that black paint, magnificent!
DW

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Mark, not to tell you what to do on your stunningly gorgeous scintillating restoration....   :)

a very dear friend who was an old timer machinist, tool/die maker, Harley dealer from the late 20's through the 50's and and restorer from the mid 60's through the early 90's....   He could tell his restorations (inside engine and outside on chassis) from anyone else's by:  All bolt head markings were upright or one direction.  All flats of hex bolts were in line or vertical.  all slots of screw heads were in line.  He had boxes and boxes of screws, he would hand select each screw so the flats and the slots would line up when tightened in their hole.  

fwiw, he called every threaded fastener a screw. He differentiated screw types by head type... "hex head," "button head," Fillister head," "round head," "flat head," "oval head," so forth and so on.  

i like your differentiation between a screw and a bolt.  :)   it makes sense !

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Uh oh, here comes some bolt indexing on 97! ;) Yes, they are nuts and bolts. A screw is what goes into the covers. ;) My 2 cents on that topic.
[size=

DW69K0

• View Profile
Well I guess Steve just made our lives miserable, now we are all going to start performing bolt and screw alignments with all our anal tendencies  ;D.
Have fun Mark,
DW

4pots1969

• View Profile
Excellent Mark, ;)
Just a question... Have you tightened the engine up in the frame? So that it does not rely on him even..
It may seem insignificant, but it limits the vibrations that could be communicated to the frame..
Gerard
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:40:14 am by 4pots1969 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So who of you are button heads and who are flat heads  ;D. I know some may think I'm a Dick Head or even ahead. I do know I like a beer with a good head. U think I'll stop there  :-*
Yabba Dabba KP