Honda CB750 Sandcast

another new member in the UK

RDblues · 14 · 4010

RDblues

• View Profile
Hi Chaps, I live in Kent in the UK, been into bikes for 40 plus years, but this is the first Honda I have ever owned, repaired many for other people though. My first venture into the world of Mr Honda I suppose had to start with the first and best, I have come across a 11/69 K0, due to be split and in very very poor condition, is it worth saving !, one big problem is that I will have a VAT paid doc but that is it, (USA) import, any advise on getting it redged and if pos, age related plate. I think I will be burning the midnight oil on these excelant pages of some time to come.
All advice greatfully wellcome,

Kind regards, Ian

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ian
Welcome to the board. Is the bike you refer to in the US or UK. Can you let us have the VIN and Engine numbers and if possible post a picture and we can go from there. I would like to say don't part a K0 out but the reality is that if the bike is going to cost an arm and a leg to restore then you have to make an educated decision about the worth or the project and the worth of the final restoration. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile

Ian:
       Hi and welcome to our site, always nice to have another CB750 enthusiast join us. Enjoy the site and don't hesitate to ask questions.  There is allot of information posted here and the members have a vast amount of knowledge regarding these machines. Marty K.

RDblues

• View Profile
Hi, Many thanks to KP and Marty K, Its great to receive a reply this fast, Only kidding when I hinted that the old lady would be stripped down, I have had to argue with the owner not to do this and I will be picking her up in a week or two. She is in the UK but began life in the US, only have frame No at mo 1013433,
I will update when I have engine No. Picture, well if anyone could cast their eyes on sutch a sorry state, then this will be done as soon as I can take one. Does anybody have a workshop manual for this year! that would be helpfull.

Kind regards to all,
Ian,
RDblues.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Ian,
For me, any '69 is worth saving if the price is sensible for the condition, and the frame and crankcases are sound. Obviously the more complete / original the better. Depends what you want to achieve really.
getting them UK registerd is not really a problem, even if you are starting with no paperwork - I,ve done quite  few over the years up here in Sheffield. ANY questions, just ask.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

RDblues

• View Profile
Hi Chris,
You are right, I think that I just needed some words of encouragement, although this is a machine that I have always wanted, its not a task to do half hearted. The main problem is finding parts that are not going to be easy to persuade others to let go even if its for a good cause. carbs and switch gear are my main problem so if you have any ideas please let me know. I assume RS are the paint people, and chrome trim on tank ?,
Nice to chat, keep in touch,
Kind regards,  Ian.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Ian,
Sounds like you are "going for it".

With patience, I have found that EVERYTHING turns up in time. I would suggest that they are actually easier to restore now than in pre-internet days both as a result of Ebay opening up the world for parts, and availability of good replica parts from a number of sources. Prices can make you wince, but thats a matter of personal choice.

IF I come accross the parts you need, I'll let you know.

The painter I use up near York sources paint from RS and somewhere else too. As I don't paint myself, I don't get involved in sourcing the paint. I have seen good CB750 paintwork done by JB in Somerset, who I plan to use for my next CB750 restoration in the Candy Blue-Green colour. For the trims, Mini wheel arch trim can be used to VERY good effect, and is cheap.

Cheers - Chris
Chris R.
302/338

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Welcome from me too Ian,

I wrote a long hi the other night but tried to attach a pic which was too big and it lost all of my text :'(
So see this link for my bike ' as found' two years ago with Oct '69 build and genuine UK bike with many K2 parts fitted (seat,wheels,pipes etc)

Re: the tank trim which ChrisR told us all about

A guy with frog in his UK Ebay title sold this  trim cut down and some fool bid 70 quid as I remember and several  another sales of it. Being the sleuth that  I am I looked at his previous purchases and found he had bought a reel of Mini trim!!

I bought a reel of it but not tried it out yet. You can have enough of it to do your tank  for free if you like  - just send me the postage.

Look at Jock's posts on the UK SOHC site  too - he started with a Genuine 'as found' UK bike

BryanJ on the UK site is also a SOHC guru and sometimes sells parts.
 Also there is Steff on the UK and sometimes contributeson this site who has a 'gaggle' of K0's as I understand

I also used the guy for paint who ChrisR told me of near York and a very reasonable powder coater in Castleford (wrong part of the country for you though I suspect) Kettle738 may be able to advise services more in your area. There is also UK Pete who is a keen member on the UK site and lives in Kent.

I have found EbayUS to be the best place to find K0 parts but obviously the delivery and customs/VAT can kill it to the UK.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/AshimotoK0/CB750-1.jpg

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:24:00 am by ashimotok0 »

RDblues

• View Profile
Hi Chris,

I am not that good with being patient, I like to get on with things, has anybody done a picture and script strip and rebuild of a KO? as this would be a great help to me, but if not, I will do this on mine, it would be over some time and would include both highs and lows and may help others with the sort of questions that all us newbies have. Many years ago (70's) I sprayed quite a lot in candy, flake, pearl and the like so my intent is to get some practice in and spray my own tinware, I can always full buck on the real day to day pro's if it goes tits up, I am also looking to hand (brush) paint the frame with frame enamel as this is a very good match for other makers and as she is not going to be used as a day to day hack should last the course. I am also looking to import a spray chrome system that does provide VERY good finish to ANY materials ie metal, plastic and even flexable materials, It is very handy on old and poor items like chrome petrol tanks and mudguards that would pepper if it went to a chromers mop, The process takes about two days to complete an item as their are five steps to go through.

Keep in touch and thanks for keeping an eye out.

Regards, Ian

ashimotok0

• View Profile
MarkB has already done an excellent restoration guide on his other Sandcast on the SOHC4 site. I would think the K0 is so similar (apart from the cases of course and lots of minor detail items) that this would be great for you.

Cheers
Ash

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was thinking the same thing Ash. I refer to the thread a lot. With mark's permission I would like to post the bulk of it on our site.
Here's the link:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64283.0
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Of course you can post it.  I'm flattered that it is helpful.  I'm still learning too.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Mark. When I'm confident that our Web Host has their troubles of late behind them I'll do it in my spare time.  ;D
[size=

RDblues

• View Profile
Thanks to Ash, Mark and Wayne, although there are many differences between early and late sands and then onto KOs, its just lifts the spirits when you can look at these fab bikes and see what you are aiming at, It also helps when like mine the old girl is missing a few bits, you can see what more or less should be their, areas like behind the panels at the electrics and rear wheel spindle/spacers and so on.
Thanks for all you help,
Regards, ian.