Honda CB750 Sandcast

Picked up frame # 1002199

HoosierTom

• View Profile
I just picked up the bike. The engine has restamped smooth replacement cases with the 10 hole clutch cover. Frame has the horn bracket on the left side. Unfortunately, the frame is cracked on both legs of the wishbone down tube,- maybe from stress or a frontend hit? Was this a weak area of the frame prone to damage? I looked at my K1 frame and it has spot welded strengthening brackets on it, so my guess is a weakness in the frame design. Who is a master repairer of the 750 frames, especially with knowledge of the early frames? I will need to send it off for inspection and repair.
As far as correct original goodies it has the original ignition switch with matching fork lock, carb set, front wheel and brake assembly, handlebars and switches, rear fender and tail light.
The seat had been recovered, wrong bodywork, broken top triple tree clamp, plastic lenses broken on the guages, broken side stand frame bracket, boogered up single cut front fender, rear 16" drop center rim. It has decent HM300 stamped exhaust on it now.
I'll have to start stripping it down soon.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by cnoel "Guest"

Does this mean you are going to restore it? Those HM300's might be your best bet unless you decide to go with new ones. If you stumble accross un-stamped ones you'd be about as lucky as a lottery winner. Whats up with the case? Is it chain damage or some other unfortunate damage?

HoosierTom

• View Profile
I figured out what the cracks are- bondo. Where the bottom downtubes slide into the slotted female end of the wishbone there is some type of repair damage. I won't know the extent until I get the bike disassembled and the frame stripped.
I'm going to Mid-Ohio and will see if I can find some of the parts the bike is missing. I probably should wait until I find out if the frame is salvageable before I buy more parts, but I only paid $250 for the titled bike and can always sell off what I purchase if the frame is trash.
The original sand cast cases are long gone- what happened to them is anyone's guess, probably chain damage.

Tom

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Tom, Anything is salvageable. I do not weld, but i know a man who is a master welder and welded to spec many times, government contract work. I have had several frame repairs done by him and aluminium fin replacement as well as broken case repair. The frame repair is an involved process but easy. You're best off finding a spare frame to use for parts, but consideration must be given to which part of a frame is going to be used form a later frame, as the later frames have bigger gussets, different welds and other nuances. But, any of this can be overcome. I take it the area of the frame you are talking about are the lower frame tubes, under the engine. Common area to rust out, usually sitting outside, moisture accumulation, freezing & bursting. These frames incorporate thin wall tubing. I have heard of sandcast cases from what i consider reputable sources. Look up Andy Morris at mid-Ohio this weekend, he can be of assistance. There has to be excellent welders in your area. However there are definite considerations and procedures to deal with in frame repair, but they are not complex, any good weldeer should know how to make these repair decisions. Marty Kitner, club member, has experience with frame repair. If you can't find help in your area, i can take care of the repair as well.

HoosierTom

• View Profile
Steve- Thanks for the reply. I've got Andy marked down on my swapmeet map at space S-10. I'll definitely be stopping there. The part of the frame that is damaged is in the front down tubes in font of the motor, where they slide into the wishbone piece that the horn bracket is mounted to.

Tom

HoosierTom

• View Profile
I just got the exhaust off and inspected it. #2 and #3 pipes are unstamped and in decent shape. #1 and #4 are HM300, with #1 pretty bad around the joint between the exhaust pipe and muffler and #4 is pretty good. The #4 pipe must be a very early HM300 because there is no indent for the brake pedal like on all the other HM300 and HM341 pipes I've seen.

Tom

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Jo Blow "Guest"

Tom, you need to read the previous threads on exhausts. There are at least 3 sets of early production pipes. Unstamped with no indents, stamped HM300 with no indents and the more common HM300 with indents. I have a complete set of HM300s without indents. Maybe Chris Rushton if he reads this response could throw some light on the subject. Jo

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Chris R "Guest"

Concerning the pipes, perhaps there is yet another variation. My serial number 1005298 still has its original #1 pipe fitted. It is of course an UNSTAMPED pipe, yet has the indent on the top, beneath the protrusion of the gearchange cover. All the HM 300's I have (approx 7 NOS sets, of varying ages, have indents.