Honda CB750 Sandcast

Gas tanks

gane · 14 · 4350

gane

• View Profile
Hi, I need Info on tanks. I have 2 which have petcocks on the r/h side. both have only 2 "quarter" stamps on their bottoms, neither have "wrinkles" which can be discerned through gas cap opening. Indeed, the only "wrinkles" are abreast the petcock area. 1 tank has the remnants of OE red paint, & what I think to be correct gold w/black stripe 69-70 accent. it has sun faded to silver across the top, & has a "leg dent" &  2nd degree rust, the other I've "acid treated" & is  rust free. I stripped to bare metal,then "bondoed"  a couple "dime sized" dings @ 2 years ago. aged for a couple months,  & primed....  & have let "set" in prime to date... primer is smooth  & no recurance of rust. I have (to my knowledge)"correct" fork ears,H/L bucket & side covers & airbox halves  which came with the bike 20+ years ago. & have been riding A'LA with just my own aproximation  of OE paint.... I've managed to garner gas cap,petcock,& trim...BUT,, before I pull the trigger on what I consider a "expensive" paint job, I need to know, "DO I HAVE A PROPPER TANK" The pic/s I see when "sandcast" bikes go for auction show "wrinkles"directly below cap, are these "pre-teen" tanks?  Is there a "primer" availible to compare to ?  Am I asking the right questions? any help would be much appreciated. thanks g

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK First off we will need to get your post into the correct area of the board. Have to hand that task over to Wayne.
As for your bike. Well! From what I know (and that's not a lot) the Candy Gold bikes commenced in 1970 and I have read around VINs way past 1400 (I've seen 19XXX written). Anyway I suspect VIN 1400 is a 69 manufacture and it would have come standard with a wrinkle tank. Even if it's an early 70, it still should have a wrinkle tank. Mind you Honda did a lot of strange things early on, just ask Chris R. The 76 should have a left side petcock but anything after June 1970 is Gar Gar land for this board. Steve Swan loves the later SOHC 750s so he may be your man  ;D
KP
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:51:40 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
What vin are you using these tanks on ?

All sandcasts had 'wrinkle' tanks.

If i recall correctly, smooth tunnel tanks were fitted approximately around vin 14xxx, Dec.69.

Gold is a 1970 color, not used on 1969 mfgr bikes, at least that i am aware of - yet. 

According to the parts manual, gold came into use at vin 19210 which would be a circa Jan.1970 vin.

cb7504

• View Profile
     Knowing what vins you are using these tanks on would give us a better idea as to what type of tank should be fitted on your motorcycle. The candy ruby red paint scheme was used on the sand cast, K0 and K1 machines where as the candy gold paint was used on the K0 after vin CB750-1019210 through the K1 and K2. Beings both of your tanks do not have the early wrinkling inside the fuel opening on the tank tunnel I would say your tanks are not correct for a sand cast machine and are of a later production. Marty K. 

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dur!!!!!.  :-\ This black duck must need a set of glasses. Here am I thinking you had VIN 14000 :-[ Sorry about that Gane. Yes your tank should be a wrinkle as per what Steve has said.
Now where did I put those car keys ?  ;D
Yabba Dabba KP

gane

• View Profile
Sorry, If i'm posting in the wrong area, where would be more apropriate? also, I should have posted the Vin of my bike. it is cb750100114. but your' responses have already helped. At least I now know I need to continue shopping for a tank w/ wrinkles visable thru cap opening. Another question please, I have looked at both the frame neck and engine upper case, but can find no date of manufacture. and looked thru the list of options & see no list of vin #'s with production dates. does such a thing exist ? because of the "brevity" of the vin's on these bikes I'm assuming there is no way to reference original color. in reading, it seems the candy ruby red was the most popular, and my personal favorite. my title is dated 1980,  so I know I'm at least the 2nd owner & possibly many more. I appreciate your' pacience, thanks g

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oh dear! You have VIN 114 My o my that's an early bike. Well you don't need just any wrinkle tank, you'll need to find a 19 litre early wrinkle tank as this is what was fitted to these early VIN bikes.
As for posting on the site, just select the most appropriate area related to the area on the bike you which to discuss, For example, if you have an instrument question then post in the area referenced to gauges, for engine related questions comments then post in the engine section.
I always think any new member who has a lot of unanswered questions needs to go to our website and trawl through all the topics as the information you seek is often located in these pages. As well, it will give you a much better understanding of the sandcast history and changes through the production cycle.
I would also recommend you go the restoration section of both Mark's and Wayne's bikes as these are very very  informative especially for those with early bikes such as yours. I can reccommend this as I've learnt a lot from this section of the Board
KP
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:04:34 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Gane, not to fear, we all started out knowing little to nothing about these sandcast CB750's.

You, as are all members, most welcome.  We appreciate, encourage and welcome member volunteerism and participation at any level.  We hope you continue to share on the BB.

You have a very early vin sandcast, highly collectable and very valuable.

If you look at the BB topics, you'll see a category titled "88 Distinctions."  Early bikes such as yours have over 90 distinctions making them different than later sandcasts. I'd encourage you to study this list.

Would be really great if you could start a category all of your own on this BB like Wayne, (vin 576) and Mark (vin 97.)  

As KP mentioned, you'll see their categories near the bottom of the BB.   And, as KP suggested, it's highly encouraged new members study thoroughly the website and BB, as there is an immense amount of information to learn many details of these machines.

I would really encourage you to ask Wayne Telford, our BB manager to assist you setting up your own own category on the BB.

Sure hope you can share info and pics about your bike, as we all have so much more to learn and it would really be a help to fellow owners of these early vins.

These early vins do not have production dates on steering neck tag nor casting dates on upper or lower crankcases, unlike later vin sandcasts.

The biggest challenge with these early vins is if the bike is not complete, finding parts will be not be necessarily easy.  Certain parts, such as the 19 liter tank which came original on your 114 can be difficult to find and expensive.  Be brave !!!!  

What is your engine vin ?

gane

• View Profile
AW CRAP... I'M SORRY. I miss-typed... My Vin, is meerly cb7501001400. I am abashed. AND there are "complications"..... the CB7501001400 which is on my title & is stamped on the neck of my frame, is exactly the # of my engine...Which to my eye is sharp & perfect.... whereas the frame # while is straight & properly spaced, has been "rattle canned" over & is a more difficult "read" , Even I as a "newby" realize that having "matching" engine & frame #'s is impossible. the horn mount on my frame is on the left, so I'm  "thinking" it's "early"., and that somehow in the 10 years before it came to me the frame was replaced &  stamped to match eng. & "re-titled". Colorado  (my home) uses only frame #'s for registration. It is my "thought" to employ a "title company" (if I can dig up enough info) to register this bike as a '69 with a '69 "title".. Am I "out of my mind ?"  sorry to be a problem child.. G

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gane
Your bike may prove to be an interesting one. I have yet to have heard of anyone having the ability to re-stamp a frame VIn properly with the correct stamps. If yours is indeed 1400 - 1400 that would be a first as far as I know! Marks is 97 - 100 so very close! I'm with Steve. How about posting some pic's of this old girl. Engine and frame VIN shots would be nice to see. (of course everything else as well!)

Oh, and Steve is right. It will take you a while to catch on here. When I acquired 576 I was LOST! Even the talk here was way over my head. I wanted to restore my bike so I hung in there. After a couple of years I think I'm getting the hang of it!  :)
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
Gane,
show us your bike, we are very ansious to see her.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

gane

• View Profile
All, thanks again for your grace,, I'll try to do a wet sand of my " frame #" & take pic's of it & "eng #" this weekend, & see what y'all think. as usual G

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Gane, i last used Int'l Title of Las Vegas approx 1.5yrs.ago to obtain title for 2157.  Joe Holmes is the owner, you can readily find Int'l by web search.  Used Int'l Title a number of times over the years and i can say the states are making it ever more difficult to obtain title.  Used to be the 3 issuing states were Nevada, Alabama and Maine.  Paperwork came from Maine the last 2 times.  Used to be a simple and relatively inexpensive process.  The operative words being, used to be.  Once you get the packet from Int'l Title, then you'll see how to proceed w/ meeting the requirements.  I live in Colorado, which approx.2yrs.ago eased requirements for obtaining replacement titles for old vins purchased without title, so next time around, if there is a next time around, will try the State of Colorado route.

Send pics !  Send pics !  Send pics !