Honda CB750 Sandcast

I was 5 minutes too late to score VIN # 959 :(

imabass

• View Profile
It showed up and within 15 minutes i called the guy.  Someone (Bob) from Oklahoma City bought it.  He was only asking $975  :o

Funny thing was i dreamed that I would find a early 69 for dirt cheap 3 nights ago.  Guess I should dream of winning the lotto and start to play the mega millions.  :)

I didn't get the engine # but he counted the clutch cover bolt and it only had 9.  He said it was his father-in-law's bike who was the original owner.  It has been sitting in his garage since 1975.  It didn't have original pipes or bars but other than that it looked pretty damn good.  I was talking to the seller and he said he was more than happy getting $1,000 because he was only expecting $300-$400.

Some guys get all the luck.  Hopefully Bob doesn't know what he has and wants to sell it to me or he will visit here and find out what it is before he destroys a part of motorcycle greatness.

So long story short the VIN # 959 has been accounted for.

here was the ad.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
About 5 years ago, there was a 1974 round case Ducati Super Sport 750 on Craig's list in WA.state, listed for $200, with 4 pics, decently revealing dust covered, dirty, complete, unmolested machine, obvious it had been setting along time.  Too good to believe, but what the heck, i called right away to see if the critter was real and was available.  The operative word, being, WAS...........  After multiple rings, a woman answered the phone with an elderly voice..........  The bike was being loaded as we spoke.  Turns out, the bike was her sons; he bought it new in 74, died in 75, the bike had sat since, with just under 2000 miles on it, she had kep it as a keepsake..........  Being she was getting on in years, she decided it was finally time to sell it.  Boo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo.  As they say, win a few, lose a few.

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Last sandcast part I scored was an engine.  I had to sit on pins and needles while he allowed his first contact to see it.  I told him his price was fair and I'd come pick it up with cash and no questions but he wouldn't let me till the first contact saw it.  All the while the picture of this engine was on Craigslist for all the world to see.  Luck was on my side and the first contact tried to talk him down from $200.00.  I was shaking from the time I picked up the cash from my savings account till I handed it to him at his storage unit.  Cool calm and collected I'm not but I did score that time. 
Keep beating the bushes and you'll score.  Try to keep yourself up on any and all vintage Japanese bikes that are deemed collectable and valuable.  It's amazing how many are being sold for a song these days and priced as old Japanese junk.  Most trails I follow lead to just that, Junk.  But about once every two or three yeas I score big.     
Eventually these things will go away as U.S. and Europe colectables have all but gone but for now the Japanese collectables are the best bet for any picker.