Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Yamiya Air Box

kp · 15 · 3789

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fellas, Get a squizzie at this llittle gem. Yamiya have made a repo 2 hole air box and it is absolutely brilliant. It is also the early no indent type which I have an urgent need for X 2. They also do the mounts as well which is another amazing Yamiya item as these cannot be successfully made from a 3 hole. The 3 hole is a lower profile so when converted to a 2 hole doesn't stand as tall. Anyway thought some of yuz'all may be interested.
I bought a set to check out AND use as I have nothing else other than a 3 hole.
I've added some pictures but do go to the Yamiya site to check them out. Yippie Ky O KP :o
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I saw those as well KP! I think I'll order one just so I don't have to use my original 2 hole shoud I run the bike! I have the mounts from mine in near perfect shape. :) Big price difference between painted and non painted!
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fellas, Get a squizzie at this llittle gem.....

KP, isn't "squizzie" New Zealand slang? I didn't think you Oz boys got along with those blokes in the bars??! lol
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think much of the slang has been interwoven into the vernacular of both countries over the course of the years ;D Ya know there are more Kiwi's living in Australia than in NZ. Yeah we slag off at them on regular occasions but in reality we do have to get along  ::)
Q: Do you know why the birds in NZ fly upside down
A: Cos they're not worth sh#**ing on
 :D :D :D :D :D
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
For the sake of not trying to raise too much rabble, is it possible there's nothing different about any of us anywhere, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA, Europe, Russia, Africa, Middle East, Far East...........    :o  Other than the differences created in the space between our ears.............     ???

"We create what it takes to learn what we say we believe to be true."  R. E. Lee, 5/20/99     ;D

vnz00

• View Profile
They look good- I'm wondering if they are injection moulded or use computers... I was thinking of doing this a while back but figured LRM would do it eventually.  It could have been done quite easily by CNC.

The black brackets don't look quite right though.

I used the lrm airbox and filled 2 holes. I modified the brackets to be 2 hole, same shape as original.

Even though the spacing on the original brackets aren't quite right (ie different overall thickness, post heights etc), the box fits and looks pretty good for a reasonable cost...

I'll post pics ASAP.

I have an original 2 hole airbox but wanted to keep it safe.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

The black brackets don't look quite right though.

What are you seeing different about the black brackets? I'm comparing to my original brackets and I don't see any difference.  ???
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The section of a 3 hole airbox is different to a 2 hole in the area where it mounts (astounding revelation I hear you say  ;D) What I mean by that is that the pad area externally and internally is different and much thicker on the 3 hole box. I'm not sure if the pad is a little taller but I suspect it is. (members need to check out the technical section of the website as not all 2 hole boxes are the same).
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/support12.htm#Airbox
Therefore using a modified 3 hole bracket, fitted to a modified 3 hole airbox shouldn't present anyone with a mounting issue and as Steve has said his presented no problems. I don't think the black rubber gasket used on the 3 hole box would cause any issues if left off or used
I have ordered a set of Yamiya brackets as well so will give ya'all an overview when they are in my hot little hands. Seeeeeezzz ya later  ;)

PS. Forgot to mention The 3 hole box uses metal spacers between the top and bottom mounting plates whereas the 2 hole has no spacers.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:26:01 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The early 2-hole brackets are a few mm taller (as noted elsewhere, I believe in "88 Distinctions") than the 3-hole brackets, to allow for not fitting rubber cushions used (as per orignal)  on the 3-hole airbox.    (Per "88 Distinctions," #34. 2-hole air box brackets 30 mm, 1-4006 (24 mm 4007-onward))

On 2157, i converted a 3-hole box to 2-hole and modified the 3-hole brackets to 2-hole, using a rubber cushion between brackets and box to make up the difference in height.  

The difference in height between early and late brackets, if I recall correctly, is the thickness of the rubber cushion.  

Using a modified 3-hole bracket without the cushions makes the air box sit at an angle, because the bracket height is shorter.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I thought vnz00 was just referring to the black brackets in the Yamiya kit compared to original 2 hole brackets. As I said, mine look the same as those in the kit as far as I can see.

[size=

vnz00

• View Profile
Looks like the original black brackets are pretty close but the originals look a little more rounded on the edges.

I have posted a couple of pics for those curious about using the repro LRM airbox as a 2 hole.  I rationalised it as:
1. I have a good original - just wanted something similar so I can ride the bike without fear of damaging it.
2. If I was going to buy a repro airbox, Id shape the brackets to be 2 hole, rather than 3 hole - few people are going to notice the rear frame cutouts are incorrect over the fact that it is a 2 hole bracket.

Im not saying mine is better over the Yamiya one - I congratulate Yamiya on a fine peice of work.  I think for quality it is a far better reproduction for the money, compared to the 3 hole one black one they have been selling (LRM too?).

I have included a pic of the original brackets, my original 2 hole airbox compared to the reproduction one I have done, and how they both sit on the bike.  The first bike pic is the repro, the second, the original

Regards,
Steven.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:43:42 am by vnz00 »

markb

• View Profile
This is obviously good news for restorers of the early VINs.  I wonder what it will do to the value of original boxes.  It seems to me that the value of original side covers has dropped since quality reproductions are available.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well fellas I got the Yamiya airbox and brackets today.
Airbox first. From my perspective I compared the Yamiya box with the box I have and it is near a perfect copy Even the casting rings and marks on the inside are the same as my original. Fellas you can buy this and you won't be disappointed at all. 10 out of 10 to Yamiya yet again
Brackets. Well these are also just a brilliant copy. Yes they are indeed a tad different and as Steve has said they are a little more rounded but that is only on the small end. The overall dimensions are a little different but we really are splitting straws where .5mm to 1.5mm is concerned. Nevertheless they are not exact but very very close and I give them 9.75 from 10.
Hear are the measurements of an original to the Yamiya
Height 28.98 Yamiya is 28.5
Length 44.80 Yamiya is 46.40
Width 30.30  Yamiya is 30.30
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well, looks like I'll have to get me one of those KP! Thanks for the great info. Anyone need an unused LPM box? ;)
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Nuts, I just bought one last week!  Oh well.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)