Honda CB750 Sandcast

my most recent blunder. seat'

gane · 7 · 2833

gane

• View Profile
Gents, a little help please, My SC. (1400/1355) came to me with a "flat" seat. it had a small tear in the rider butt area,  and has "dandruff" issues at the seat pan/foam holes. hinge points and latch appear to be as OE. and fit is good.  My intent was to "splice" In  the "duck tail" padding and "arieated" sections of foam from bits of other seats on hand,shape and re-cover with a repro "duck tail" cover. Alas, my 1st cover (from Z1 Ent.) was again for the flat seat. no biggie, I explained prob, & they sent me a "duck tail" cover in good time. Problem is, this cover, while correct for "pocket" and "pressings"  is roughly 2 inches short in overall length. If some one could simply give a rough measurement from the  front to rear length of a duck tail seat pan, or knows the differnces it would help me in my quest. Thanks G

tomcourtney

• View Profile
I also have recovered a couple of seats with pre made covers with less than expected results. So I recently shelled out the bucks for a couple of the Yamiya seats, The red foam seat is very nice, but i have got to say i wish i paid the extra and bought two red foam seats instead of buying the white foam seat. So if you go that way pay the extra... tc
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
My experience, buying any seat cover that comes without the foam to fit that seat cover, is frought w/ fitting challenges, unless one has a competent and experienced motorccyle upholsterer.  Even, sometimes, when there is an accompanying foam base available that "matches" the cover, proper fitting can still have it's issues.  I bought a Yamiya cover and had my friend who is known regionally for his motorcycle seat upholstery expertise cmake the foam base and he met challenges making his foam base fit the Yamiya cover.  Even though the seat came out looking quite nice, if i had it to do over again, i SHOULD have bought the Yamiya foam base for a perfect fit.  I have used Yamiya red foam bases in the past and even then, they require "adjustments," albeit minor, for a perfect fit which is achievable.  My friend used white foam and since i had the remains of the old red foam base, he used it in the areas of the seat pan's vent holes to give the "red foam look."

As we know, factory original red foam bases were not solid, they were constructed using (gluing in place) vertical blocks and so there were considerable air spaces visible thru the vent holes in the seat pan.  Pretty sure, if i remember correctly, red Yamiya foam bases are solid and not constructed using these blocks creating air spaces.  If one is to be "hard core" in their foam base restoration, the red Yamiya will not appear correct for original, when one looks at the red foam base thru the vent holes, as supplied from Yamiya.

magpie

• View Profile
I make the seat pan about 25 1/2" + or -, measured with a cover in place. I had the same problem with a Z1 seat cover and after much emailing he refunded my purchase price, not sure about the shipping though, can't remember. I was able to buy a good used cover with some nice patina. The stock seat cover top was 25 1/2 inches. The one I got from Z1 was an inch shorter. Cliff.

gane

• View Profile
Cliff, Thank-you...My seat pan is roughly the same length as your's..(my research has shown the possability of as many as 3 different pans ) and was hesitant to bitch w/out knowing if I had a "proper pan" for the Duck tail...At least now I know I'm once again in search of a "cover". Fortunatly I've some experiance w/foam (shaping etc) from my own projects, & have re-covered many ATV/Dirt bike/PWC seats at work. Thanks again for taking the time. G

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are 4 different seat pans between the k and the K2. There are only 2 for the k, being the early 10 hole and the later 17 hole KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Don R

• View Profile
 I also bought a Z1 seat cover during this time, it wasn't a duck tail and was too short. I waited too long to return it so I passed it on to a guy doing a 500 Honda who said it fit great.