Honda CB750 Sandcast

Mainstand with / without bar

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am trying to understand at what serial number the mainstand with reinforcing bar was introduced. I have a fairly original #1001256 which has the later type stand fitted. Also have #1001120 with a stand with a piece of threaded rod welded on. Is this perhaps because this stand got damaged, or because it was a factory fitted "no bar" stand which bent in use. Owners of other early serail number bikes can perhaps comment?
Also, are ther any other differences with mainstands?
Thanks guys.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Steve "Guest"

hi i have three cb750s the earliest two have the reinforced mainstand and the newest has not  so im as confused as you sorry there as obviously been some mods too my bikes ,  was there a call back for these mainstands at some time im sure i read somewhere that they did tend too fail

736cc

• View Profile
Check the parts manual, it shows a part # change during the early sandcast run if I recall correctly. The early style unreinforced stand is a pretty cool detail.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Matt "Guest"

Interesting. I was just looking at my parts book and it does not show any part number changes for the mainstand for the K0,1, or2. There is a change for the sidestand at s/n 1002381. I have a mainstand with no reinforcing bar, I believe I got it off ebay, I have it installed on my #4292, and now I am wondering if this main stand is too early for this bike?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Post by Matt "Guest"

The sandcast on ebay right now is #1356 and clearly has the re-inforcing bar (no gaurantee its correct). so do most of the others I have seen on ebay (I save all the pics). The 1969 magazines showing some of the first sandcasts do not have the bar. Anybody know what s/n this change happened? Also, while we are on this topic, at what s/n did the stand get wider?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Chris. Have a look at the 1971 CB500 four centre stand. This stand fits the CB750 four and without an early one to compare, seems to me to be the same. Maybe someone can identify what the differences are between this and the early non-reinforced stands. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

txmudman

• View Profile
I have 1970 CB-750 VIN 1005383 and it does not have a reinforcement bar. This bike has been in my family since 1973, and I am sure that no one replaced it.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
KP is right, a 500/4 stand will fit onto a CB750 (they use the same pivot pin), but whether the 750 would sit right on it, no idea. However, owning both 500 and 750,s, I can say with certainty that the 500 stand is NOT just a 750 one without the brace  - it differs significantly in detail when you get them side by side.

SAD TALE - Friend of mine, restoring a K2, orders a NOS mainstand from Western Hills Honda. When it arrives, he is p******, cos they have sent him a defective one - no reinforcing strut. Because he can't be bothered to ship it back to the US, he sets to and welds in a piece of bar. Fantastic job he did too.
Wish he had rung me first, I would of swapped with him a NOS late type and saved him the welding job. :( :(

Proves though that early type no strut mainstands existed as spares, hence some later bikes could easily of had them fitted over the years.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

markb

• View Profile
Sorry to dig up this old thread but I have a question.  Are the stands the same, the only difference being the brace?  In other words can you make a replica by just removing the brace?  I compared two that I have, one with and one without and the left legs are different.  It looks like the one without the brace is bent up.  That's probably why they put a brace on it.  ::)
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 just too add fuel to the fire ;) i have a late honda cb750 sept/1970 it came with a no braced mainstand ::) more confusion

markb

• View Profile
I have 1970 CB-750 VIN 1005383 and it does not have a reinforcement bar. This bike has been in my family since 1973, and I am sure that no one replaced it.
Just spotted this as I was looking the thread over again, kind of interesting.  I own 5383 now and it does have the brace.  Somewhere along the way it must have gotten swapped out.  He sold it to a guy in Oklahoma who had it for a short time before I bought it.  One more interesting detail, it was originally sold in Minnesota before it went to Texas and now it's back in Minnesota.

But back to my original question, does anyone know if the stands are the same except for the brace?
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark, I'm not an "expert" but 576 had a brace on the mainstand. In conversation with Steve Swan I believe he told me that they were indeed the same, the only difference being the brace. I have since ground it off. It will be interesting if you find out anything different.

After modification and paint. (my not glossy enough paint  ??? ??? ???)

[size=

Don R

• View Profile
 OK, so 5511 should have no brace?  Any more current thinking on the subject? My current stand was narrowed to work with a hooker 4 into 2 header but I have a nice one on my diecast bike which is heavily modified. Both have the brace.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK, so 5511 should have no brace?  Any more current thinking on the subject? My current stand was narrowed to work with a hooker 4 into 2 header but I have a nice one on my diecast bike which is heavily modified. Both have the brace.
VIN 5511 should have a brace
Yabba Dabba KP