Honda CB750 Sandcast

Rear Fork (swingarm) Rebuild

Wayne · 5 · 2226

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have inspected my rear fork (swingarm) before sending out for paint and have concluded that it will need to be rebuilt. The bushing is loose on the chain side mostly. Can anyone share their experience in pulling these things apart and putting them together correctly? I have never done one and the Service Manual is a bit vague to say the least! I have read that hondaman does a better rebuild on these things? Should one go that direction or just go with parts available through regular channels. I also see there are needle brg kits. I would be a bit concerned with water intrusion, no?? Thanks!

Simply put, I don't want to do what I read on another board where a guy "beat the hell" out of his for 3 hours to get it all apart! lol
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:18:13 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Using a fine tooth hacksaw blade, I made two cuts through the length of the bronze bushing, then prised out the pieces.  I replaced w/ oem Honda bushings.  I considered needle bearings, however given the fork has only a few degrees of movement, i felt there'd be better load bearing on the oem bronze bushing as well as fewer moving parts to be affected by any water intrusion.  Likely the primary cause for bushing wear was lack of lubrication, further aggravated by water intrusion due to no neoprene seals.  Installation, heated the swing arm pivot, took greased bushes from freezer, if started staight, they pretty much slide right in their hole.  I made up a "press" from allthread with appropriately sized spacers to push the bushings into the correct position.  Before i removed the old bushes, i measured the distance for the outer face of bushing to outer edge of swing arm.  Seems, if i recall correctly, those bushings set in the swing arm about 1/8" for the outer edge of swing arm. 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Steve. That sounds pretty straight forward. I was leery of needle brgs as well. I'll go with OEM stuff.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:48:32 pm by Wayne »
[size=

markb

• View Profile
I've always been able to tap the bushings out from the opposite side using a rod slightly smaller than the bushing bore.  This dings up the bushing but you're taking them out to replace them anyway.  There is a shoulder inside the swingarm so the bushings will bottom out to the correct position when they're pushed in.  The threaded rod is a good way to get them in.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

1941wld

• View Profile
Another good thing to do to your brass is to cut a sprial groove in each. This will allow the grease a passage way to get around the shaft. Besure to clean the old grease out of the shaft and make sure your grease fittings are working before you up it back together. Do some research on a perfect grease for this application. Thre are great new products out ther to use.
Best Regards