Honda CB750 Sandcast

Bike from Japan

landing007

• View Profile
Hi all;

My Honda I bought while in the Military in Japan. It's a 69 and the frame number is CB750-1015966. I know it's not a sandcast but it did come with the wrinkle tank and recest key. The speedo is in Khm, the horn is mounted on the left and the frame number is also stamped into the frame on the left, there is no Vin plate mounted on the right. I have two more hondas another 69 and one 72 both basket cases at this time. I shipped my bike back to the US when I left Japan and I'm wondering if anyone else out there has done the same.

Landing007

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi

A friend of mine was a FAC and when he finished his service, he went to Japan, bought a 1970 model & had it shiped to the US. He still has it, it has 4k miles on it.

736cc

• View Profile
Left horn on that frame number? Was left horn changed to right only in US.? Did you buy the 69 in 69 or later? If later seems like an early sandcast frame and later motor. It still seems weird an early sandcast frame would be in Japan. Did Japan use up left mounts for domestic stock? Eli

landing007

• View Profile
My Japan purchased bike is not a sandcast as the serial no is way too high. My other 69 has a lower serial no but it too is not a sandcast. I don't know what models were being sold in Japan maybe the early units were sold to the US and else where outside of Japan and that's why we have tons of sandcast mc's here in the US.

Just a guess on my part
Landing007

vnz00

• View Profile
I think it was a while after the CB750 was released in the states before it was actually sold in the japanese domestic market. I remember reading this somewhere, hence the lack of them in japan.

I imported my K0 (later in the run - 1042xxx) from japan a couple of years back. Its currently under restoration. I just wanted to ask Landing007, if yours has the speed warning light too. mine has the light, but not mechanism to activate it (wires cut) so I would love some pics if you could organise it. at least it gives me something to try and source as at the moment I have no idea of how it works!

Jap market machines differ in that they have KPH speedos, straight bar main footpegs (i.e. not spring loaded like the US models, but still round), the obvious speed warning light, and I think (from pics I have seen on Japanese models on ebay) an extra 'tang' on the side stand to make it easier to put it down. I think some of the later CB's had this as well. Aside from that, not much different however I have seen bikes with K1 numbers, but K0 bodywork, and carbs which are japanese domestic models too. Maybe for their own market they just used up the surplus stock? Hence Sandcast type frame with a later VIN.

Im afraid mine was a bit of a bitza and nowhere near completely stock - this info just comes with what I have seen from seemingly original K0 Jap market bikes.

vnz00

landing007

• View Profile
To Vnz

I seem to remember the speed light - as I remember the speed light was mounted between the tack and speedo. I don't have any info on how that worked or any doc to say how it was connected. I have long since removed that light and now have an oil pressure gage mounted in that spot. I believe the light would light for any speed over 60K and it was red in color. All the GI's use to remove that light as the first modification and I'm sure mine is long gone...

As far as the foot bar, I converted mine 20 years ago to the spring loaded units. Unfortunately those part were trashed - I remember the foot pegs were just solid mounted units bolted to the frame.

My Jap 69 is inbetween stock and cafe. I have another 69 that will be restored completely stock. I'll be working on that project later this winter. I can send some pictures after I get the Jap 69 completed. I'm rebuilding the carbs now and it should be ready to start after.

Bob

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. Have since found out from Yamiya (Katsuya) in japan the correct details for the Speed warning light. Not strictly Sandcast - the speedwarning light came into effect (and presumably this is when the domestic sales comenced in japan for curiousity sake) at 1010900, so in 69 sometime. There are two parts to it - the light, which is activated by a small gearbox sitting between the speedo cable and the speedo. the gearbox must be what generates the charge as their is no wiring entering. The light came on at 80km/h which was the japanese national speed limit back in the day.

Luckily I have the complete light, but not the small gearbox which goes inbetween the speedo cable and the speedo so would be much obliged if anyone out there could source/generate a lead for me!

Regards,
Steven.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Landng007
Another interesting fact is that VIN plates were not on all production CB750s. Australian bikes didn't have VIN plates until 1972 so looks like Japan was also VINless for some period
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

736cc

• View Profile
Didn't they have unique paint colors found nowhere else in the world?