Honda CB750 Sandcast

Throttle cable question

guitarkev66

• View Profile
I purchased a new throttle cable from Z1 enterprises .  It is the stock 1 to 4 cable setup.  I didn't adjust anything else and when I started the bike its idle was pegged at 3,000 rpm. I checked all the cables to make sure they were free moving , turned idle screws all the way out , and re started with the same problem. Do you think that the carbs need to be re synced due to the new cable?  It idled and ran perfect with the old cable I wouldn't think there would be so much of a difference between cables.  Is there something I am missing?

kmb69

• View Profile
You definitely need to resync the carbs with a new cable but I'm guessing the 3000 rpm idle is another issue. You need to check all the cables at the carb top and see if they all have some slack when the throttle is released. There should be enough slack so the slides can seat on the idle stop screws. Sometimes one or more of the 4 cable ends will not be seated properly in the 1-4 junction box. Another item to check is to make sure all the carb caps are seated good and the cap rings are snug. I use the following procedure when replacing a 1-4 cable:

1. Screw all the cable adjusters all the way down
2. Install the new cable
3. Make sure there is slack at each carb and at the adjuster at the handlebar
4. Adjust the 4 carb cable adjusters up leaving about 1mm slack
5. Adjust the top cable slack at the handlebar
6. Sync carbs with gages or manometer
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:28:10 pm by kmb69 »

guitarkev66

• View Profile
Update resynced carbs and now it runs perfect!!! Thanks for the advice....