Honda CB750 Sandcast

K0 Bodywork Questions

geeto67

• View Profile
Hey,

I picked up a 1969 body set that had been lying around for 30 years. It was part of a bundle of drag race parts I had. They bike they came off of was a 1969 diecast bike that had been built into a drag bike in the 1970s.

The tank and side covers are candy red. The tank is not a wrinke tank.

Are these appropriate for a sandcast resto?

I bought them because I wanted to make K0 replica out of my 73 K3, but if they correct for a sandcast resto it might be better to just repaint my K3 tank (I have a second set of K0 sidecovers that are not as nice).

tomcourtney

• View Profile
I had a very late sandcast and it did not have a wrinkle tank.. it was CB750-1006958 with CB750E-1007149 engine regaards TC
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have owned a number of die cast "K0"s over the years with VIN numbers 1008621, 1010xxx, 1015xxx, ALL of which WERE fitted with wrinkle tanks. Yet I have a sandcast 1005192 (owned 20 years now) which despite being appearing to be very original did not have a wrinkle tank fitted when found. We have to remember that these things have a lot of history now, often unknown to current owners, so what is correct can be open to speculation / interpretation.
Personally, I believe all sandcasts would have left the factory with wrinkle tanks, and based on observations of original UK bikes, I believe that wrinkle tanks were fitted to most '69 built die cast bikes also, certainly as far as the above mentioned 1015xxx. Just my "thoughts".
Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
I ALSO OWN TWO 1970 A 1015XXX AND A 1018XXX THAT STILL HAVE WRINKLE TANKS ,AND I ALSO OWN TWO 1970 A 1015XXX AND A 1031XXX THAT DO NOT HAVE WRINKLE TANKS LOL YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE BUT THINK LATER DIE-CASTS NEVER DID HAVE THEM TANKS FITTED

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
 have VIN 11970 which has never been touched, and it looks like it's never been touched LOL. It has a wrinkle, socket key switch, quack quack seat, etc etc. I agree with Chris, in that, unless one has owned the bike from new, it would be difficult to presume what is on the bike is original. Unless you open the lid to put petrol in it ( that's gas to you fellas in lar lar land) just tell yourself it's a wrinkle.
Speaking or wrinkle, the wife was standing in front of the mirror and said "I look fat and wrinkled" she said to me "pay me a compliment"
I said "your eyesight's perfect"
Yabba Dabba KP