Honda CB750 Sandcast

1969 fair market value? bike's been garaged 35+ yrs

kindofblue

• May be procuring a 1969 CB750
    • View Profile
    • Free online Drinker's Check-up
Hi all,
I'm moving forward with the possibility of buying my friend's dad's 69 CB750. See here for details and history
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=863.0

This bike has been garaged basically untouched for over 35 years in Seattle. I however, am in Albuquerque NM. I've asked the owner to send me pics but have no idea what a reasonable price range is for a bike that's been sitting like this for so long. So I thought I'd pose the question here for your comments. Also, what are these bikes worth then they're fully restored?

I know there will be a long list of things to do to restore the bike and wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's going to take a lot of $$$ and time. I'm hoping the engine hasn't seized and have thought of asking him whether the kick starter will turn the pistons with the ignition turned off. Would that be sufficient to determine that the pistons and rings haven't seized? I would imagine that rebuilding a seized engine would entail a lot of $$$$ and time and that in turn would need to be reflected in the fair purchase price.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them and fill in details also. Thanks in advance for your perspectives and opinions.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
If the original condition is pretty good, you'do better to keep it unrestored.

kindofblue

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply. I agree. My intent is to only do that which needs to be done to make the bike functional.

If the original condition is pretty good, you'do better to keep it unrestored.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

UK Pete

• View Profile
Once you start down the restoration route its hard to control the spending, it is very satisfying but will take all your time and money,where as a quick tidy up and get it running would be easier on time and money it is really not realistic on something that has sat 35 years, all the wheel  bearings and steering bearings would need doing , new tyres, probably cables ,fork oil and oil seals and recommissioning the engine, and a whole heap of other things that would come aparent as you go through it, try and load up some pictures
I would think a decent restoration is going to cost anywhere between $5,000 and $20,00, depending on how much work you do yourself,
A  Vic World restored sandcast sells for around $32,000 acording to his web site
Pete

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reid
You pose a tough question. There are just too many variables to answer it accurately. The bike is worth what the market dictates for THAT particular bike. By that I mean:

Is it a very early VIN bike? A single digit sandcast will attract SERIOUS buyers. Two digit bikes...ditto and so on. A bit of a sliding scale depending on condition and how many of the original parts are intact and in usable condition.

I bought 576 at a reasonable price. I was able to do so as my friend who was the previous owner wanted me to have the bike knowing that I would bring it back to it's former glory. (hopefully) ;) He knew he would never do anything with the bike. Some stuff was missing, it had been sitting 25 years in an outdoor shed and needed to be fully restored. My estimate is between 10 and 12K for the restoration when all is said and done. (rough guess)

So value? Like I said, the bike is worth what the market dictates for THAT particular bike or if you are lucky like me the seller will want you to have it for whatever reason and give you the bike at a very reasonable price. Someday I'm going to make a tracking chart of what sancasts go for but until then we go with what we know. The highest I think we have seen was one with 400 miles and change on it. It went for around $41,900.00. I have seen rough bikes on Ebay fetch around 5K, and I think many have gone in the 13 - 15K range. Better bikes and resto's...25K range??

Pictures and the engine and frame VIN would allow us to better help. Good luck!
[size=

kindofblue

• View Profile
Hi Pete and Wayne,
Thanks for the replies. I hope to receive pics in another day or so along with the VIN # and will post them here.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.