Honda CB750 Sandcast

Project complete

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Just finished 2157/E2241.  Took it out for a 35 miler today, running water from melting snow, got it dirty.  Oh well; it's a rider.

A very special thanks to Chris Noel.

cb7504

• View Profile
Steve another sweet looking machine, excellent, job well done. Marty K.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Beautiful Steve! A thing of beauty!
[size=

Marcello Tha

• View Profile

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Except for new blue-green paint, HM300's and the Yamiya cover, the remainder of bike's original. 

Next project....  I want to find a 1929 H-D JD.  My Dad bought a new one when he was a youngster.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I didn't even know you were working on a third sancast, or was I just not paying attention??  :-\ JD project would be fun! :)
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Chassis 2157 sort of fell from the sky into my lap.  Never expected or looking for another sandcast.  It sat in s shed in Alabama for 17 years minus engine, exhaust, oil tank, side covers, foot pegs.  Otherwise everything was all there, even the mirrors and a plug type key.  Incredibly, no rust, but tons of dirt and scum, perhaps the dirt prevented the rust.   Part of what influenced my purchase, i had a set of unstamped cases i was going to use to make the bike whole.  Then, Chris Noel who lives in Colorado Springs found E2241 and i bought the cases from him.

UK Pete

• View Profile
That looks like a museum quailty bike, first class job, did you have a restoration thread on here
Pete

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That looks like a museum quailty bike, first class job, did you have a restoration thread on here
Pete

I think Steve works too fast to stop and take pictures! ;)
[size=

kmb69

• View Profile
Certainly does look very nice! A rider? Looks more like a showpiece.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Chassis' got tiny bits of patina all over.  The original zinc plate's dull.  Chrome everywhere has it's minor marks.  The front fender had a couple small dents in it which i removed as best i could without lifting the chrome.  The rear rim has a couple of less than pea sized rust thru chrome.  The frame has nicks here and there, i fixed those with a paint pen.  One front spoke has no zinc, rusted, others are ok.  The rear spokes are all dark.  The gauge lenses have some slight crazing and a couple scratches Simichrome would not take out. The plastic coat on eng.covers is splotchy.  The engine's pretty much all new on the inside, so fresh silver paint and zinc plated "8" bolts.  The underside of seat pan's missing about a 4th of it's paint.  Overall, it turned out really well.  It's what i would call a "2 foot away" bike.  5 foot away, can't see the patina.  2 foot away, ya see it.  Passenger section of seat looks goofy; cover would not stick to foam so it's got lift that detracts from the ducktail.  Eye of the this critic's alive and well.

Wayne knows me too well.....  I got the engine home on a Wednesday and had it together Friday afternoon.  Not disciplined enough to take time for pictures.  I thought i was a pretty good picture taker until Mark came along !

Chris Noel came up from Colorado Springs this morning.  I rode the Moto Guzzi V7R, he rode the sandcast; about 100 miles we rode.  He did ride the V7R about 3 miles, then wanted the sandcast back.  We spent the day grinning.  We had pizza, cinni-stix and soda; watched rookie Marc Marquez win his first MotoGP, then took another longer ride.  We got things up to 80 per for a short bit.  Good day in paradise for both us.  Now have about 150 miles on it.

Also, a pic of tank cap.  Inside tank, looked even worse.  Used 3% phosphoric acid solution for a month; removed nothing.  Took it to local radiator shop, they had it for 6 weeks; removed little.  Then i attacked the tank using electrolysis and washing soda solution; in two weeks the crap inside the tank all came loose, but still a small amount of clinging crud.  So, i put a handful of nuts in the tank, stuffed it in the dryer packed inside heavy foam, ran the tank in the dryer for an hour with no heat yielding bare shiny steel.  POR-15'd the inside; I like POR-15, easy to handle.  Good tank now !

Prospect

• View Profile
Very very nice.  How long did it take?  Did you have the missing parts on hand or did you find them elsewhere?
Vin 256/106

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

Riccardo

• View Profile
My very deep compliments Steve.
Another jewell!
I hope you will ride this bike around Colorado, sending me the photos.
Ciao!
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored