Honda CB750 Sandcast

Footpeg mount

ken736cc

• View Profile
While preparing the foot peg mounts for frame #366 I discovered some strange, additional welding.
What do you think, one off factory modification or a crash repair made early in the bikes life?
Would you keep this or replace it for a correct restoration?
I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i've never seen anything like that.  doesn't mean it's not factory....

looks like the stop on the peg had become worn, peg would position too far down and someone welded to bring peg position up to spec.

ken736cc

• View Profile
I have found additional welding on the footpeg bar also.  My best guess it that the bike fell over early in its' life and this was the repair.  Perhaps it was so new that replacement parts were not yet available.  I have good spare parts here. I just hope that this is not another part that is unique to sandcast models.

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 ::) does not look a repair to me it looks very intentional, im wondering if the welding was done to raise the pegs and give them more ground clearance, was  it ever raced in an earlier life? you would be surprised what them old racers got up to ;)
 my first cb750 had a nineteen inch rear wheel fitted by a previous owner who said he had used it for twisty sprints and hill climbs ,he said the bigger wheel gave him more ground clearance , just my theory :-*
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:07:25 pm by steff750 »

ken736cc

• View Profile
Judging from the condition that it was in when I bought it, I would say never raced, just abused.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's just what my wife does to me  :(
Yabba Dabba KP

Riccardo

• View Profile
Considering the low frame of your bike, and the quality of the welding, i think at a factory modification of the part for the degree adjusting  than a reparation from some previous owner .
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

1941wld

• View Profile
One thing I noticed while riding my bike. The heal of my boot does not allow me to side my foot forward on the rubber peg. The shift lever is a little too far forward and shifting is more on my big toe nail rather than on the top of my foot. Perhaps the weld on the foot peg repositioned the peg to a more comfortable position for the owner/rider.