Honda CB750 Sandcast

Proper spokes and nipples?

Sam · 8 · 4581

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm about to build my wheels and I have a spokes / nipples question.

From what I have read, the spokes were normal zinc and the nipples were yellow zinc. Mine are corroded pretty bad. I could have them replated (maybe...not sure if they can be saved). Or I could buy new spokes and nipples. Anyone know of a place that sells the proper yellow zinc nipples?

Thanks!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
original nipples are quite visibly different than new production replacement nipples.  if orig.nipples/spoke in good condition, i see no reason to not have them replated.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Hi, Opened my packs of spokes I bought from DSS in 2009 as member  Kettle738 advised me they may not have the correct gold passivated zinc plated nipples. He was correct they were found to be silver  BZP.
Anyway experimented in the 'lab' late one night  (my utility room). Washed one in isopropanol to de-grease, cleaned with tissue, rinsed in de-ionised water then put them into the gold passivate solution  from Gateros ( a UK company but Eastwood/Caswell probably sell the same stuff), rinse again then looking good. I didn't believe you could re-passivate gold (Chromate) after initial plating and possibly blue passivated treated but they look spot on to me.

http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Replacement-Items.php

Agreed though, If you can re-plate the originals that's probably the best way forward. I find that if a wheel has a decent rim, the spokes and nipples are usually in a condition to have re-plated. Bake in an oven afterwards though to de-stress, as also advised by Steve.

Cheers .. AshD
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:01:08 pm by ashimotok0 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ash, Yes indeed, gold passivate will still activate on zinc plated items long after the initial plating. It becomes an issue when the zinc coating starts to oxidise. At that point the passivate tends to become motley. When the plated item is protected from the ravages of the atmosphere the oxidising effects are significantly reduced thus the passivate chemical acts as intended One must be careful though as the gold color effect is dependent on the time the item is immersed in the passivate. The longer the immersion the stronger the color. The original gold effect was not strong so minimum immersion would obtain this result A good outcome for you by the sounds of it. Cheers
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Ash, Yes indeed, gold passivate will still activate on zinc plated items long after the initial plating. It becomes an issue when the zinc coating starts to oxidise. At that point the passivate tends to become motley. When the plated item is protected from the ravages of the atmosphere the oxidising effects are significantly reduced thus the passivate chemical acts as intended One must be careful though as the gold color effect is dependent on the time the item is immersed in the passivate. The longer the immersion the stronger the color. The original gold effect was not strong so minimum immersion would obtain this result A good outcome for you by the sounds of it. Cheers

Thanks for the brilliant reply Kerry. Yes I overdid it a bit on the immesion time on the test nipple. I am going to have a much lighter finish on the ones I finally use. Just need to find a decent rear rim first !

Cheers ...AshD

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
original nipple heads are visibly different than replacement nipple heads seen above.

Don R

• View Profile
 Thanks Steve, I just located the original spokes and identified the nipples from my rolled rear wheel and labeled them. If I never put them back on at least they will be with the bike. The PO had swapped parts between two bikes. I bought them both so I could get the rolled rim back on the correct bike but I wasn't sure about the spokes and nipples.