Honda CB750 Sandcast

#410 has Landed!

Sam · 33 · 10820

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm still deep into the restoration of #1629, but I thought I would show you guys my 2nd sandcast...#410 (with engine #436). It was parked in 1972 and just found by a fellow member before I bought it. It isn't running and there is a lot of corrosion...but I am pretty excited about it!

I am pretty sure that it is 100% original.

The paint is surprisingly good. Only a tiny nick here and there in the tank...no dents!

When I took the tank off, I got a wonderful surprise...it is a 19L tank! Here's a pic comparing it to the 17L wrinkle tank for #1629 (not yet painted):

Some more goodies...

Thin lip alternator cover (showing a nice example of the corrosion I will need to deal with....fortunately, this is not aluminum corrosion, but the clear coat going bad):

Lotus roots pipes (polished quickly for the first photo):

All "8" bolts where they should be (haven't found any incorrect bolts yet):

Early brake caliper hex bolts (note the texture on the side of the bolt):

Smooth oil lines:

Round oil filter cover:

Recessed ignition:

The gauges look very clean! No cracks, thats a reflection in the photo:

Not pictured includes a rounded rear rim, red seat foam, double cut front fender, two-hole rear fender, no-pointer kill switch and many other goodies.

A few items are missing: the left-handed horn (I have a spare), the left mirror and the "28" carb caps. Other than that, it appears to all be there.

I haven't decided exactly what I will do with this bike. I think there may simply be too much corrosion to keep this bike as a survivor; I am leaning towards a full restoration. Though I would hate to repaint it...I'm really happy with the paint!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice find - they are still out there!

Fuel tap looks a bit "odd" / different? outlets are usually at the back, vertically downwards. Is it a short neck tap, or some other replacement?

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

patriotcommercial

• View Profile
Can you tell more of the details.  Where did you find it ? Was it original owner ? Did seller know what they had ?

cb7504

• View Profile
Nice snag on getting a three didgit sandcast bike. It looks like it has most if not all the rare'r hard to find parts including the 19 liter tank. A fair amount of work ahead but will be well worth it in the end result. Marty K.

4pots1969

• View Profile
I am pretty sure that it is 100% original. Quote

Except the Rubber grip left and right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D

Congratulations for this magnificent find..
I have the clammy hands for you!! ;) ;)

Gerard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:10:59 pm by 4pots1969 »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Indeed the fuel tap is different from my other sandcast. I have a Japanese sandcast book that details sandcast #8. It has the same fuel tap, so I am pretty sure it is correct. When I get home, I'll take a few more pictures of it. It is definitely shorter!

The bike was purchased originally in Louisiana. The original owner died a year or two later and the family kept the bike in their garage (barn?) until it was found by a fellow forum member. I bought it from him.

Ha! 4pots1969, you are right. Also, I think the tires are not original. The front is a continental and the back is a brand that I am not familiar with. Originals were dunlop right?

I am tempted to get the bike running great and only remove the rust....in other words, keep it original. What do you guys think? More valuable original (cleaned up as much as possible without crossing the line) or as a fully-restored bike?
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
Great find!
I am curious about the gauges what drive bodies these have. Can you post a picture of these?

Prospect

• View Profile
Indeed the fuel tap is different from my other sandcast. I have a Japanese sandcast book that details sandcast #8. It has the same fuel tap, so I am pretty sure it is correct. When I get home, I'll take a few more pictures of it. It is definitely shorter!

The bike was purchased originally in Louisiana. The original owner died a year or two later and the family kept the bike in their garage (barn?) until it was found by a fellow forum member. I bought it from him.

Ha! 4pots1969, you are right. Also, I think the tires are not original. The front is a continental and the back is a brand that I am not familiar with. Originals were dunlop right?

I am tempted to get the bike running great and only remove the rust....in other words, keep it original. What do you guys think? More valuable original (cleaned up as much as possible without crossing the line) or as a fully-restored bike?

Excellent find.  I congratulate you.  I would definitely just clean it up and leave as is.  Original and unrestored will always be worth more and is more attractive in the market.  It's surprising how well things can clean up with the right products and elbow grease. Having said you may want to restore it for your own personal pleasure.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:35:18 pm by Prospect »
Vin 256/106

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Nice find - they are still out there!

Fuel tap looks a bit "odd" / different? outlets are usually at the back, vertically downwards. Is it a short neck tap, or some other replacement?

Cheers - Chris R.

It does look odd....  But, the distance between the lever and the tank trim, certainly looks like "short neck distance."

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not sure what to make of this fuel tap. It has a short neck for sure. But the fuel lines are on the side; not the back.

Interestingly, the Japanese book on sandcasts that features sandcast #8 has a fuel tap that appears to have the side fuel lines "chopped" off:

The text below (thanks to OCR and Google translate) says:

Fuel cock's initial ~Kaga `feature between mosquito Isuzu 丶箋 Hisashii of fuel Yun-click inside one of Tsu. Hole 2 things over" `prototype of such` CL72 is the `lever ... have been cut.

Is it possible that this is a CL72 fuel tap?  ???
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great find!
I am curious about the gauges what drive bodies these have. Can you post a picture of these?

I'll be happy to when I start in on this bike. For now, #1629 is getting all of my attention.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Picture of original petcock on #302 - appears same as #8.

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok. Looks like I have a fuel tap from a CL72. Looks just about identical to this:

...which CMSNL says is intended for the CB160.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Congratulation!! What a find.

Please restore it very carefully, or just clean it up and keep it as it is.
Some day, t will be the last original unrestored sandcast.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ha! No pressure right?  ;D

My current plan:

• Complete the restoration of #1629
  • Disassemble #410 and remove as much corrosion as possible
  • Rebuild the engine, rebuild the brakes, etc
  • Leave the bike original, ride it, bring it to shows and enjoy a piece of motorcycle history
  • Maybe someday restore it if I can be convinced that it will be better restored

Someone on here said it well: "Its only original once."

Thats the plan  ;D
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608