Honda CB750 Sandcast

#410 has Landed!

Sam · 33 · 10828

patriotcommercial

• View Profile
Don't restore.  I would suggest you get a small above ground swimming pool.  Use a hoist to put the bike inside the pool.  Remove the seat.  Lay the bike on its side.  Fill the pool with evaporust.  Once a day take the bike out and pressure wash the corrosion off.  If you keep this up for a week or so the corrosion will be gone.  The paint will shine.

The only down side is that the amount of evaporust to fill the pool will cost about $5,000.

Other than that, put the seat back on and you will have a nice bike !

LOL

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Good plan.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

cb7504

• View Profile
Do not restore, just do a good cleaning and detailing it will do this bike a great justice to it's originality. Sit back and admire. Marty K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Do not restore, just do a good cleaning and detailing it will do this bike a great justice to it's originality. Sit back and admire. Marty K.

Get some Strongarm rust remover.  It's incredible.  Google it.

UK Pete

• View Profile
What a great bike you have there, i agree with others that keeping it unrestored is a good move, there cant be many left in that condition,
pete

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve, I get the impression you are a fan of StrongArm  ;D

For the record, I have some and will use it for sure.

I plan to use Quick-Glo on the chrome (love this stuff).

Has anyone had a good experience with a product that will remove rust and not paint? For example, the frame has little speaks of rust surrounded by good paint. How do I get just the rust off and not damage the paint?
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
While working on #1629, curiosity got the best of me....how bad are these wheels? What follows will sound like a Quick-Glo advertisement.  ;D

Here's a closeup of a section of the rear wheel:

After maybe three minutes with Quick-Glo and a paper towel, I had this:

Not bad huh?  :o

The cool part is that Quick-Glo includes wax, so the rust won't return quickly.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

4pots1969

• View Profile
Can you tell me if you perceive a tiny gram of paint on this engine which was apparently never desecrated??
Because personally I do not see a paint on the photos of the engine..
It would allow to drive things forward on this interrogation because I have the firm conviction that engine cranckases Sandcast was not painted by the factory Honda..

Many Thanks, Gerard

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, the engine has paint for sure.

Every sandcast I have ever seen has paint and Vic world is positive that Honda painted their engines. Frankly, it would have been foolish for honda to not paint their engines; they would have corroded very quickly here in California!  ;D
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

1941wld

• View Profile
By the 1960s , G.N.Gonzales was a Honda distributor with a territory that covered the South East and the middle third of the United States. GN Gonzales grew through the '70s and '80s to become a premiere Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki dealership with the largest motorcycle showroom in the world.
In 1969 word got around town that GN had (2) 4 cylinder Hondas on the show room floor. This attracted lots of rider into the dealership to see these machines.
This bike is one of these original bikes. Mr. Green worked for the USPS and bought this bike in 1969. He was the kind of guy who bought all the "First" items sold. The "cutting edge of technology"guy. Mr. Green dided in 1972 leaving this bike to his brother.
I had heard about this bike being under Mr. Green's brothers carport about 5 years ago, but there was two friends of mine who had dibbs on it before I could buy it. The first guy in line died, and the second guy decided he did not want it. So one Saturday morning looking thru my emails, I came across the phone number, made the call an arranged a viewing that morning. By noon, it was on the trailer and headed to my house.
I've been building and restoring bikes for the last 40 years and just did not want to do anymore. I listed it here that Sat afternoon, and sold it Sunday morning to the proud new owner.
Now I'm hunting for the other one.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing the history of this bike. It is now safe and sound in Santa cruz California.

I hope to start in on it around the first of the year!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:40:02 am by Ujeni »
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Restoration complete!!

I managed to keep all of the original Candy Blue Green paint. It polished up wonderfully!

The engine, frame and most of the chrome needed to be redone. New zinc too of course.

Very pleased with the results. I'll be showing this bike and bike #1387 at the Quail Motorcycle Gathering

Here's a few pics:

Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608