Honda CB750 Sandcast

SANDCAST AUCTION MACHIVMOTORS

kp · 5 · 1245

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is the second auction he's had for sandcast stuff in a few months and I watched selling prices for this one as I did for the previous one. Of those items I watched he grossed around $10,000, but there were a number of items I didn't watch so he would have grossed more than that. The thing I found interesting was the price some items were bid to which I thought would have received higher or lesser amounts. For example,  the engine cases were bid to $4100 which was higher than I expected. The surprise to me was the low selling price of some hard and very hard to find items. Double wrinkle early tank $393 (really cheap), double cut fender $485 (really good buying), smooth ferrule clamp oil hoses $160 each, Two hole airbox in reasonable condition $250, Front wheel $10, genuine early shocks $20, left side horn $53. The round edges wheel went for $810 which was about what I expected. The price of a broken arse tacho was $460  :o Other items were up and down. I got a few small items but missed the airbox and oil hoses. Oh well :(
Did any one else on here buy anything
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile
KP

I was lucky enough to get the airbox and the speedo.  But given the condition of the speedo, I'm pretty sure I paid too much.  I'm hoping Marcel can breathe new life into it.

John

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What’s wrong with the speedo you have. If it’s just the drive you can swap them over easily.
Hey, I just had a look at your existing speedo and it’s a goodie. Can I suggest you just replace the diecast drive with the sandcast drive off the speedo you just purchased. Very easy swap over and you’ll save some money. Sell the crappy speedo and get some of your money back.  Get your drive ultrasonically cleaned or use some alloy cleaner to make it look nice. Cheers
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:30:19 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile
Thanks for your suggestion, but I may be reading it a bit too late.  When the speedo unit arrived, I did consider a swap.  What stopped me is that I wasn't sure that would be a correct cure, because my understanding of the differences between DC and SC is limited (for now) to the drive types.  I already sent the SC speedo to Marcel.  In the end, I hope to get a bit more for the fully functioning DC unit when I decide to sell it.

Regarding the airbox, I'm searching the forum now to find out 1) how to remove the silver paint, and 2) if the serious cracks are repairable.  If I cannot find the right thread, I'll start a new one with pics.

Thanks
John

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Marcel does a great job but using a resorted speedo using repop parts over a factory original doesn’t make sense to me but then I’m anal. The speedo drives are 100% interchangeable with what you have, so maybe think about selling the restored one.
Yabba Dabba KP