Honda CB750 Sandcast

Just Painted Candy Blue/Green Parts

Joe K · 6 · 2724

Joe K

• View Profile
Hello,

I just received back my CB750 sandcast painted parts from Paul Owens and his partner, Mark.  I recommend their work!  I have used their service two times now and have seen some of their other work.  The price is low too - between $500 to $600.  They paint it the original Honda color.  They advertise on Ebay.  Here is their link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-76-CB750-CB-750-Gas-Tank-and-Side-Cover-Restoration-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0fc589e0QQitemZ120523688416QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Joe K.

donzie

• View Profile
Hey Joe parts look real good. Do you have an nos part to compare the color to. How close is it. Are the flakes in the paint the same size as the oem paint.

1941wld

• View Profile
Hi Joe, These look great. One question, your side covers are they original, aftermarket or Yamiya? Don and I bought some from LPM out of England and have noticed some warpage from the hot sun. Before I have mine painted, I thinking of getting a white set from Yamiya.

Can any member give me some feedback on their aftermarket side covers.

Just can not bring myself to paint a set of 41 year old plastic covers knowing the new materials will be more durable and last much longer on a bike that will be ridden.

Thanks, Conrad

Joe K

• View Profile
Donzie,

I talked to the guy who just sold the candy blue/green sandcast last week and he told me that he had Paul Owens and Mark paint his parts.  His dad, who was the original owner took a look at the parts and said that they looked like the original color.  That is the best I can do for you.  You can ask Paul and Mark for other details.  I know they do paint the candy coat over the silver paint as should be done.

1941 Wild,

My side covers are original, but I have had the David Silver Spares side covers painted before too.  I didn't have a warp problem.  I think the old set or the new manufactured ones are both good.

Joe K.

markb

• View Profile
Looks like real nice work.  I'm not trying to be critical, maybe its the lighting, but there doesn't seem to be much green in it.  I've used the LPM and Yamiya side covers.  No warpage problems with either but even though they're more expensive I like the Yamiya's better because they have the holes for the badges and tabs for locating the screens and just seemed a little nicer.  I used a teflon coated heated bar to soften tabs to bend them over.  Took a little experimenting but they look better than glueing them in, not that you can see them from the outside anyway.  Both covers painted up real nice too.
Mark 
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Joe K

• View Profile
The camera seems to pull more blue than green out.  I think that the color in person is perfect.  I painted a blue/green one myself a couple of years ago and put on the paint thick.  The result was too much green and I did not like it. 

Joe K.