Honda CB750 Sandcast

SANDCAST VS DIECAST ALUMINUM INSTRUMENT BODIES

1941wld · 55 · 24352

ashimotok0

• View Profile
I seem to recall someone telling me or reading somewhere (possibly from ChrisR) that in later years, replacement K0 spare, genuine Honda  part replacement,  instruments were fitted with different internals to the originals shipped with actual bikes throughout its life. May just have dreamt this however ::)

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:24:59 pm by ashimotok0 »

Riccardo

• View Profile
Ash, you remember well,

in the last months was on ebay some NOS gauges for K0, Honda replacement last production but with central gear like K2.

One of those was sold by Vic World and one by Sandguss.

Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

bojje

• View Profile
Hi all!
Today I´ve made photos of all 4 kinds of gauges. They are posted with my comments to Marcel and there has also been sent a copy to KP. I´m not familiar with attaching photos to my comments so I decided to ask KP to show it on this side in perfect english so everyone understand what I mean. If you all spread this out I really hope we´ll find attached photos to all gauges on ebay showing the gear too. Then it´s much easier to find what we are looking for but I also expect the prices on early models to raise.
Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion, Bo from Sweden

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
Bo did a very great job to us all. I will post his pictures and comments here. It shows exactly the differences between the gauges.

Thank you very much, Bo! Well done.

His comments:

1. First kind, sandcasted, used #1- at least #388, has a special metalbase and a the first kind of gear. There might be other differences but I´m not going to disassemble my gauges at this time to figure out. You can´t use later bases and gears together with these parts.

2. Second kind, sandcasted, used at #389? - #1500? Second kind of metalbase and a second kind of gear. You can exchange all later gears with this kind of gauges. I mean, if someone finds a brand new K0 gauge with a diecastgear, it´s possible to exchange gears and get a NOS gauge with the second kind of gear.

3. Third kind, sandcasted, used from around #1500 – high #11000. Third kind of gear and the same metalbase as second kind. Exchangeable with second kind as mentioned above.

4. Fourth kind, diecasted, used at high 11000 and the rest of K0 models. Since most of this kind was produced there might be some brand new of these stored somewhere out there. Exchangeable with the second kind as mentioned above.

The pictures speak for themselves:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:35:04 am by CB750faces.com (Lecram) »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
 ::)  ::)  ::) That's really good information and certainly a significant distinction Bo. Thanks for sharing this information. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Riccardo

• View Profile
Thanks BO!!
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi guys,
The photos of Bo's #609 and Waynes #576 might show the approx. Cross over point between the late shouldered non-bevelled sandcast drive and the bevelled edge sandcast drive. Waynes bike has the bevelled edge type and bo's, the shouldered type, even tho they are off a slightly later bike.

Let's not forget the speedo/tacho faces in this discussion too. I have photos of a sandcast drive speedo/tacho faces. The back of them is not the plain white version I have seen on later KO gauges.

I'll post pics if this dreaded rain ever stops!  Maybe Bo has noticed these as well and would care to comment.

Regards,
Steven.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK. This has been a good thread and some differences have been noted with the sandcast clock gearboxes. I thought I would check my clocks off VIN11970 to see what they would reveal I've found another gearbox difference which I've not seen before. These clocks are the original clocks off VIN11970 and the bike was unmolested from new. You will note that this pair of clocks sport different gearbox castings. I have identified the differences with the casting.
Now he's my thought and they are just that.
Bo's early clocks are certainly unique and we can assume these were only fitted to early bikes. You will note with the other clocks pictured that some have a sort of bevel casting just at the point where the threaded area for the cable knurled knob attaches (see Bo's VIN 5119 and Wayne's VIN 576), yet others simply have a casting without this bevel (Note my clocks and Bo's VIN 609).
Seems to me that these instruments, and which gearbox they have fitted is a random event and not related to early sandcast bikes (at least after VIN388) versus the later production bikes up to VIN11970. The molds boxes and dies used to fill with the casting sand needed to cast these gearboxes would have been many and I suggest, also varied, thus we see the subtle differences between castings. The acute bevel type seem to be on early VIN and later VIN bikes so I wouldn't like to say what should come with what.
Anyway, I posted this for those who find the subject of interest  8) KP

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:03:26 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
It is very interesting, Kerry. I didn't notice it before. The sandcast gauges I have do have the gear as shown on the left gauge on the right picture. I am curious until what VIN they have been mounted.

Riccardo

• View Profile
Hi, a my friend is owner of a diecast 11/69 with VIN about 14000 and he have the gauges with the sandcast gears, late type.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
On Ebay, a set of unrestored sandcast gauge has been listed and 1 day and 5 hours before end the price raised to $795!  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160537655604

I have sold a restored diecast tacho for $458 on Ebay, so I am curious what people will pay for a restored sandcast. I currently have three sandcast gauges to restore.

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
On Ebay, a set of unrestored sandcast gauge has been listed and 1 day and 5 hours before end the price raised to $795!  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160537655604

I have sold a restored diecast tacho for $458 on Ebay, so I am curious what people will pay for a restored sandcast. I currently have three sandcast gauges to restore.

These are being sold for $1500!!!  :o

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi Guys, while doing a listing for a sandcast gauge (pls see for sale section if you are interested), I came across the promised 'rear of face plate' photos from another gauge I had as spares.
The speedo and tacho face plates had paint on the rear which seemed to act as a light mask.  I was wondering if any other members have noticed this.

Regards,
Steven.

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
i have opened several sandcast and K0 gauges and they all have face plates with a light blue/green backside, the color of the plastic plate.