Honda CB750 Sandcast

Headlight buckets

markb · 26 · 7019

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep it is a NOS bucket One of a pair I bought some years back Both have the same part number
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Yep it is a NOS bucket One of a pair I bought some years back Both have the same part number

The reason i asked, on USA models, the black buckets began being used on 1972 or K2 models.   Before that, the buckets were painted the color of the bike, i.e., K1 and earlier.  i have to apologize, i'm not reading as closely this thread as i should be to be commenting....

are we saying the not black painted buckets have smaller holes AND have number designations "1" and "2" ? 

To my way of thinking, the black bucket with a larger hole would not ever been fitted (or correct for restoration) on a sandcast.  Prob. same would go for K0 and K1.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i would hazard a guess the bucket with no number is the earliest  bucket.  the bucket with a 1 would be the next generation and the 2 bucket would be the 3rd generation.

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
I made a research at ebay and there is a lot of late (black) headlight cases with no number and some with the "1" (black), the "1" type maybe from CB 450-500-550. It is difficult to declare that "1" has small hole and "2" and "no number" are big hole without measure. Someone could measure the hole sizes.

markb

• View Profile
Sorry to keep beating on this one guys but I'm getting a little confused.  I have at least three buckets that are early (VIN 1553 and less) and none of them have a number.  The fact that I have early buckets that aren't numbered and there seems to be plenty of numbered buckets around would make believe that early buckets were not numbered.  Sometimes if there is more than one die (or multiple cavities on one die) they are numbered so if there is a molding problem it can be tracked down.  If Honda started out with one die it would make sense that it wasn't numbered.  Anyway I have to send out some parts for painting and want to make sure my bucket is correct.  The wire holes on mine are approximately 36mm x 42mm.  Does that match other known early sandcast buckets?  And are numbered buckets early or later?  By the way I checked the part number in the manual to see if it was a CB450 number.  It was a 300 number but that could have been because it was painted. 
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i would hazard a guess the bucket with no number is the earliest  bucket.  the bucket with a 1 would be the next generation and the 2 bucket would be the 3rd generation.

i would hazard a guess the bucket with no number is the earliest  bucket.  the bucket with a 1 would be the next generation and the 2 bucket would be the 3rd generation. 

Attempting to determine which buckets came first, logic would suggest 1 would come before 2 and no number would come before 1. 

And a good point, Mark, on the numbers being used for different dies to track manufacture origin, molding concerns.  if there was only one die and no others were yet made or in use, logic would suggest no number on the 1st die and hence no number on bucket.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I made a research at ebay and there is a lot of late (black) headlight cases with no number and some with the "1" (black), the "1" type maybe from CB 450-500-550. It is difficult to declare that "1" has small hole and "2" and "no number" are big hole without measure. Someone could measure the hole sizes.

as i said in earlier post, black bucket on usa models began in 1972, K2 models, so to my way of thinking no K1, no K0 and no sandcast would ever have used this black bucket.  the black bucket is not correct for any usa models until 1972 K2.  

to my way of thinking the blue-green and red buckets are the focal point of interest, as those are the only "sandcast' colors.

Black buckets are different (bigger hole for wire harness) from red and blue-green buckets and black buckets could have there own dies and very probably there own "die numbering," therefore totally separate from the earlier blue-green and red buckets.  b-g and red may have been available on later 450 models, though.....

i don't know anything about 450's.  but i'm pretty certain there were no candy blue-green 450's in 1969 and possibly no candy red ones either.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mr Swan, you are correct about the black bucket being seen from K2 onwards at least that is also my understanding. The black bucket I photographed was only included to show the number 2 and a later shot to show visually the size of the hole and the comparison between the three. The black bucket is a NOS part and not a repop from Yamiya. I had assumed the black bucket hole was the same size as the sandcast buckets I have (been stored so long I couldn't remember) but yes, the black bucket is not K0/K1. The hole size you measured Mark is same as my 2 red buckets approx 42mm x 36mm and this is a feature of all buckets on sandcast bikes. Given the regularity with which these buckets cracked I suspect many have been replaced over the years. One surprise is the number of broken and cracked buckets for sale on eBay. I wonder if people actually buy this junk
The absence of a number is not confined to early buckets however, as a quick search of eBay revealed 3 without a visible number both small hole and large hole. The reasoning for these numbers is lost on me given my early number sandcasts all had the 1 (at least those that I looked at} but I can't guarantee mine are original fitment, nevertheless, I would go with the no number if that is what was on your bikes. It would be interesting to hear from others as I'm now intrigued to know.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CB750-1976-Vintage-Headlight-BUCKET-/261750417993?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cf18a6a49
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/69-70-CB750-Sandcast-Headlight-Bucket-A230-/291351196764?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d5e2745c
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/69-70-CB750-Sandcast-Headlight-Bucket-A231-/291351196060?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d5e2719c
Yabba Dabba KP

kmb69

• View Profile
i don't know anything about 450's.  but i'm pretty certain there were no candy blue-green 450's in 1969 and possibly no candy red ones either.
There definitely were candy blue-green and candy red CB450's in 1969 - identical colors to the SC. I bought a brand new, candy blue-green, CB450K2 in 1969 because I could not afford a CB750 at $1500.00. The CB450 ONLY cost $900.00 which was still a LOT of money to me. I was a lowly Honda mechanic at Pasadena Honda fresh out of high school. The lowly Honda mechanic next lift over bought a new candy red one. We raced them at the local drag strips almost every weekend for about 2 years until I was able to buy a brand new K1. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Ah, those were the days!  ;D

i believe 69 was the year for chrome gas tank panel on 450's.  b-g or red bike with chrome tank panels would be might pretty.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:05:41 am by Steve Swan »

markb

• View Profile
Velly, velly, intellesting.    :o
I agree.  Very interesting stuff.  That settles it then.  #97 is getting a no number bucket.  Thanks for all the comments.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)