Honda CB750 Sandcast

Frame 5337 on Ebay ... A few items???

Wayne · 30 · 9135

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Saw this frame on Ebay being passed off as sandcast 5337. First thing that jumped out at me was the VIN stamp. It's digitally altered! OK, maybe he was just trying to make it stand out more??  ;) (see black shadows drawn into the characters. Also notice how VIN stands out, almost 3D instead of appearing stamped in??) On closer inspection of the neck area I now believe that the whole VIN area may have been "cloned" in. You can see the transition of the gray and speckling starting just under the VIN. As well, there are tabs on the rear seat cross member, and a tab on the right side rear motor mount. Thoughts folks??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-Honda-CB750-CB-750-K0-CB-750-Sandcast-KO-FRAME-FORKS-TOP-TREE-CAFE-RACER-/330805351753?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d05891549&vxp=mtr

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:29:46 pm by Wayne »
[size=

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you look closely, you will also see it has the longer rear shock mounting gussets (go all the way back to the rear seat support loop, rather than stopping short), AND it has the rear brake pedal height adjuster "stop" only fitted to the K2 and later. Definately not "right".
Cheers - Chris R

Chris R.
302/338

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It has a bid in it. Someone is going to be an unhappy camper when they don't see that VIN on the neck!!
[size=

Joe K

• View Profile
If you look really closely you can see the oval has been filled in behind where the battery goes.  Also it appears in one of the photos that the original vin has been ground off to accomidate the bootleg vin.  I don't recall the helmet holder tabs either on the sandcast frame.

A.S.S.
Joe K.

Christoph

• View Profile
If I could compare the numbers with me it's true, at least in terms of numbers.

Christoph

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 :o jeez you gotta be so careful with this sandcast stuff . Honda CB750 k0's are my poison, and what Joe k says about the filled in oval gusset behind the battery does it for me so it ain't even a k0 frame, and Chris r has shown it ain't a sandcast.  :-* happy days

Christoph

• View Profile

kenhan

• View Profile
Same guy, same blasting method, different scams.

Definitely a newer frame! Helmet holders and more on a Sandcast!? :o

/Ken
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5084 - running
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5128 - Running
1970 CB750 next project
1975 K2 (K3-5 donīt exist in Sweden) - Running
1981 Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you look really closely you can see the oval has been filled in behind where the battery goes.  Also it appears in one of the photos that the original vin has been ground off to accomidate the bootleg vin.  I don't recall the helmet holder tabs either on the sandcast frame.

A.S.S.
Joe K.

HAHA! Love that the "A.S.S." is catching on!  ;D
[size=

Joe K

• View Profile
This is a message that I sent to the seller on Ebay for the frame.  I haven't heard back from him yet.

Dear theyankeepicker,

Hi,

I am not sure you know but the frame number has been changed.  There is evidence in the photos that the frame is from a later model bike (post 1972).  Just want to make sure you don't have a problem with the buyer or have them pay a lot of money for the frame when it's not authentic.

Joe

Bickle

You will also notice in his other items  sandcast engine cases with a missing vin stamp block  ::) fishy

Amazing how a sandblaster can covert a diecast into a sandcast.

No returns

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well I gave up being an eBay policeman some time back but every now and then one must do what one must do. This guy is a very suspect seller and he knows exactly what he's doing. May I suggest we all send him a comment about his deception. At least he will get the message that he is being watched. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
I agree KP.  I'll do it.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)