Honda CB750 Sandcast

Put back on sale "28" set over the top

4pots1969

• View Profile
http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-Honda-CB750-CB-K0-Sandcast-H853-Carburetor-28-caps-slides-throttle-cable-set-/231285708935?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d9b3d887&vxp=mtr#ht_2098wt_662

Put back on sale of the top "28"
The buyer has $1,776.01  has of to retract his offer..
And now : Buy It Now a $2,325.00 !!  :o :o  More and more greedy and grasping this seller..!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:10:14 pm by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile

DW69K0

• View Profile
Steven Vanzetto if you still have any 28 carb kits or you plan to reproduce the #28 carb kits again, I would gladly take two (2) sets.
Thank,
Duane

4pots1969

• View Profile
Yes, I suspect that are beautiful copies, but why to buy copies just for the appearance of credit note of top "28" because copies will remain copies, and I think that he will arrive one moment when we shall not know how to discern any more the forgery of the truth.. When it will be made, he will be too late and it will deprive some value of authentic Sandcasts!! It is necessary to think and to meditate on that..
Personally, I préfere to put of real top "28" where well not to put nothing of the whole, no interest has to put some forgery of the fact that I know him..
Go to be made also copies of cover of alternator with the thin lip? To what it would be of use?
To muddle and deceive everybody!!
A member tried to make him on its sales and he called that "Early Style" I would say rather "Early Deceit"
It is my humble opinion.
Gerard

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:31:27 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Yes, I suspect that are beautiful copies, but why to buy copies just for the appearance of credit note of
top "28" because copies will remain copies, and I think that he will arrive one moment when we shall not know how to discern any more the forgery of the truth.. When it will be made, he will be too late and it will deprive some value of authentic Sandcasts!! It is necessary to think and to meditate on that..
Personally, I préfere to put of real top "28" where well not to put nothing of the whole, no interest has to put some forgery of the fact that I know him..
Go to be made also copies of cover of alternator with the thin lip? To what it would be of use?
To muddle and deceive everybody!!
A member tried to make him on its sales and he called that "Early Style" I would say rather "Early Deceit"
It is my humble opinion.
Gerard

Gerard, your point is well taken, but reproduction parts have been and will always remain a necessary part of restoration.  especially when one gets into more obscure motorcycles, that are 75-100 years old !  i definitely am finding that true with my 1927 H-D restoration.  what repro parts will do to value is mixed.  there are so few sandcasts on record under vin 300, repro parts will likely nbot affect value.  the reverse may be true with the later 3 digit and 4 digit vins.  to my way of thinking it would be just as incorrect to put an 'incorrect' oem replacement part on a bike as a repro part, both are parts that did not come with the bike off the assembly line...  how a machine is restored is up to the owner.  i don't beleive i can say what i think is right or wrong for how an owner should restore his machine or what parts he is allowed to use or not use.  personally, i want my restoratons to be as correct as i  want  to make them and the way i want to make them. 

4pots1969

• View Profile
No, Steve I do not share your opinion on that.. You should not mix everything. Of course it is necessary to redo important parts and cruxiales when they are not available any more at Honda as gauges and faces where pistons, chains, exhaust muffler, segments and the list is long but there, we do not speak parts used by weather, rust, where well Miles traveled.. There we speak of pretending, because these copied parts were reformed by HONDA after modification towards E-1017629 and that's why I say no, and so it is about to redo cables for the top "28" where short springs there I say a big yes because we have no choice if we want to preserve in good condition the first motorcycles which still have their top "28"..
And to make it copies is for me a serious mistake which you will pay later.. It is a certainty.
I do not know if you see the difference but for me her is enormous..
Gerard
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:29:25 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Gerard, i believe i see your view and i respect it, it is how i restore my machines.  use original parts whenever and where ever possible; replace nothing that cannot be used or restored.  perhaps, i am misunderstood.

Gerard, just to be sure i understand.  if an early vin has no mirrors, it is not wrong to put 11 mm repro stems on the bike, when we know 11 mm stems were fitted to early vins?  or, no repro 11 mm stem should ever be used on any early vin missing stems?  or are you saying it is wrong to replace an existing 10 mm stem with an 11 mm stem ?  or to take off replacement caps and put on repro 28 caps ?   what if carbs have no caps ?  then is it ok to use repro 28 caps ?  because Honda makes no "no.no" and no Lotus Root exhaust, we should only use HM300 exhaust ?

many machines are missing many parts and would never be on the road again without reproduced parts.  my 1927 project, i literally started with engine, transmission, front and rear wheel hubs, a bare frame and a set of tanks.  MANY original parts are NOT available.  and many of the 87 year old used parts are not worth the time it takes to restore them.  or, the parts is not a good serviceable part after being restored, is for looks only to preserve original?  and restoring parts makes the parts not original !  with no original parts available and without reproduction parts for my 1927 project, what would i do ?  and if no original parts are available and i will not use reproduction parts, a machine should be allowed to die ?  or if i use a good solid exactly like original reproduction part instead of a heavily repaired original part, this makes my 1927 project a fake ?  that is why there is a popular movement to leave complete original patina bikes intact; i understand and appreciate that !

if an entire parts or assembly is missing, original part is not available, a like factory original repro part is available i see nothing wrong with using a repro part. to make a machine like it was when it left the factory.

however, if someone wants their machine to look the way it looked when it left the factory, uses repro parts, that is the choice and right of the individual.  i cannot control what another does.    whether or not it increases or decreases value is something i cannot control.  what will be, will be. 

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=1072.0

DW69K0

• View Profile
To me personally, I believe in full discovery and truth when showing and selling a bike. There is nothing wrong with restoring and repairing all the parts on an original bike has when purchased, but at Steve pointed out, not all bikes are complete. I like to restore a bike back to the original factory condition to preserve the original look as it would have been purchased back in the day. Many Sandcast parts are expensive and hard to find in today's market, so replacing hard to find find parts with Reproduction parts is the only option to keep it period correct and factory "original" looking.

I run several reproduced parts on my Sandcasts like the smooth oil filters and seats, because replacing them is virtually impossible. If the bike is ever sold, I would put the original part back on for authenticity of the motorcycle with the factory originals and disclose all work performed.

The issue for me is when a seller false advertises and make claims about a bike without disclosing the entire story behind the originality of the bike and added parts.

Duane

CBman

• View Profile
I totally agree with Gerard, that producing repro of available parts is way to hell. It is not true, that Sandcast´s  parts are not available. You can buy everything you want on Ebay, even complete original sandcast with 3 digit VIN. OK, not everyday, but if you will be looking for something, you will find it. I´m talking about original no number mufflers, first red foam seat and 28 cabs. But thrue is, that nearly nobody will pay it. So that is main reason why you are producing repro and buying it. People producing and selling repro are only moneymakers for me.

As stewe asked: "or if i use a good solid exactly like original reproduction part instead of a heavily repaired original part, this makes my 1927 project a fake ?" Yes, from my opinion it is fake.

Ok stewe, so where is the limit of mixture of original parts and repro parts? If you will build all new sandcast from repro parts, do you think you will have sandy? No, you will have copy, which is for me priceless.

I still don´t understand how anybody could be offering copy of owners manual here for 40 bucks few years ago. Why ??? You can still buy original one and even for first Sandy. So why is somebody making repro? It has only three reasons.
1. That person wants it immediately
2. He wants to have it cheap
3. He wants to earn money on anybody (Honda) job
In all cases this person is NOT motorcycle enthusiast for me. True collector and lover of this bike wants only original one.

If you will like to buy copies, it is possible that during few years we will have 10 000 sandcast´s bikes on the market, and not only 7414. This is not sci-fi, but reality that just happened on other bikes.

What made Sandy rare was its originality and quite low production figures. But this spirit with all these repro bikes is going to be gone.

4pots1969

• View Profile
If I understood well:
If we do not redo beautiful copies of the TOP "28" where of Alternator Cover has thin lip the SANDCAST is going to die... It is necessary to find other arguments because there, sincerely you try to find excuses to have an easy conscience.. What I can understand.. No the SANDCAST is not going to die!! It's the very opposite that I try to explain to you..
It is your copies of rare parts that serve has nothing and which make the rarity of the SANDCAST which are going to kill him...  
In France we say:
"You are cutting the branch on which you sit.."

The Dream and the Magic of SANDCAST it is exactly that certain parts are inaccessible.. Where almost..
And there, you are breaking all this........

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:44:12 am by 4pots1969 »

DW69K0

• View Profile
Reproduction parts sometimes fill a very big need when the owner chooses to ride the Sandy, i do not want mine to sit in a corner protected from the world, so i run some reproduction parts on mine were these parts cannot be replaced because of the wear and the possibility of failure keeping the originals safe.. The drive chains and smooth oil filters are one such example.
Respectfully,
Duane