Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Member and Original Owner from Florida

Guest · 3 · 1705

rfischer

Hi, I'm a new member with a 69' sandcast 750; engine #006732. I put the bike under a tarp 12 years ago because it was burning oil pretty bad. I've spent the last 12 months getting it running and have been breaking it in for a month now. Still need some cosmetic parts and a paint job but I want this bike to be a daily rider, not a garage ornament. I'll send some photos in later. There aren't many 41 year old one owner bikes out there.  This bike and I have had a lot of adventures in the past and I want to make it reliable enough to begin travelling again. I could use some help about smoothing out the rough idle.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Before the idle can be "smoothed out," it's important to have valve lash set to proper clearance, points gap and ignition timing correct.  Of course, one wants each float set to proper level and the throttle needle clips in their proper notch.  Then adjust each cable so all 4 slides open at same time (allowing approx.1/16th"+ cable slack) and turn each throttle slide adjusting screw so the screw just touches the slide.  Then turn the throttle slide screw another turn.  The engine should idle fairly smoothly, but likely will not be exactly right on.  If idle speed too high or too low, turn throttle slide adjusting screws in or out accordingly for idle speed of approx.900 rpm.  The final adjustment is setting each air screw to standard position.  This adjustment should be completed before starting engine.  The air mixture screws need to be synchronized.  The best way to synchronize all 4 air screws to set the idle mixture is using a CO analyzer.  The 2nd best way is using vacuum "mercury sticks" or actual vacuum gauges.  Beyond these methods, without an experienced ear and a feel for individual exhaust muffler outlet pressure, it's nigh impossible to get all 4 idle mixture settings the same.  All of this is negated if the carbs are functioning with worn parts, such as worn float needles, worn throttle needles, worn air mixture needles, cracked rubber inlet tubes, etc.  This is also assuming the valve seats, stem seals, guides and piston/rings are in good condition.

rfischer

The valves and timing are correct. I'll check the float settings and look at the float valve needles and seats to see if they are worn. I have the original green shop manual as a guide. Why would the floats affect the idle as long as there is enough fuel in the bowls to feed the carbs? Also I have the single vacuum gauge setup with a 4 way valve to isolate each carb. Is this adequate or would it be better to have 4 vacuum gauges and adjust all the carbs at the same time?
During the rebuild the valves were seated and the stems were checked and are not leaking. New overbore to 836 cc and new rings and pistons as well as oversized engine studs were installed.
I also replaced all 8 of the carb tubes. The old ones were hard as rocks.

Also what is the recommended tire pressure front and back?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:30:50 pm by rfischer »