Honda CB750 Sandcast

Wiring Loom Tags

Wayne · 42 · 9345

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What do you folks think the loom tags are made of on the wiring harness's? I'm going to print some 0400 tags up hopefully and thought it would be simple stupid to find the materials.  :-\  It looks to me to be 7 mil white vinyl. Figured I could just find some 8.5 x 11 sheets, some waterproof black ink and print away! Not as easy as it sounds. I have scoured the internet for sources for the vinyl. Any ideas? I have my template made up pretty well ready for printing.

[size=

ken736cc

• View Profile
I would be interested in purchasing a tag if you make extras. As for a material, I think the sheets that they use to cover the wings on radio controlled airplanes might work.

I've seen the future, I can't afford it.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You're welcome to a tag if I get them made Ken. RC kits contain Polyethylene (PE) film. It's shrink wrap. Not quite the same.
[size=

UK Pete

• View Profile
I just took a look at my loom and it appears i have the same type, being as mine is in nice condition i think i will re-wrap it , nothing else needs doing to it, but i would love to have a nice new tag if your making some up wayne, please put me on the i want one list
Pete

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:52:04 am by Wayne »

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just took a look at my loom and it appears i have the same type, being as mine is in nice condition i think i will re-wrap it , nothing else needs doing to it, but i would love to have a nice new tag if your making some up wayne, please put me on the i want one list
Pete

Will do Pete. Must be nice to have a near perfect 0400 loom. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:11:38 am by Wayne »
[size=

sandcastdoctor

• View Profile

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Put me down for 1 tag Wayne, Thanks!!!

Will do! I may have located a product to print on that is very close. My original tag is 7 mils thick. I found an 8 mil vinyl. We may be in business! :)

Now I have to find some dry black tape, .75" wide and I should be able to turn out a fairly close reproduction of the 0400 harness. :) Plan is to take the new Honda harness, unwrap it, remove the extra 2 wires at the headlamp sleeve, take it apart where necessary and add sleeves as per the 0400 harness, wrap it back up with dry black tape and as my friend Mark would say...."Bob's your Uncle" you have a a new looking 0400 harness.

[size=

UK Pete

• View Profile

UK Pete

• View Profile
Pete

Will do Pete. Must be nice to have a near perfect 0400 loom. :)

If you look at my loom it appears to be really rough but i described it as good condition based on the fact everything electrical worked on the bike, all the connectors are clean with minimal corrosion, apart from the connector to the alternator which was stuck together and got scuffed up real bad while prising it apart, i feel that a re wrap and a new block connector for the alternator connection ( if i can find one without the safety clip on like the newer ones have~) and it will be good to go, however now reading about old looms it might be wise to go down the same route as you wayne and adapt the 050 loom and re-tag it 0400, then it would be new and suit the restoration theme of getting everything as good as i can,
Pete

markb

• View Profile
as my friend Mark would say...."Bob's your Uncle".........
I believe that's KP's line....    ;D
It is, but I borrowed it from him and use it a lot.  ;D ;D
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Has anyone been able to source some 3/4 wide, 4 mil thick, dry black vinyl tape? I found this guy on Ebay and the product appears to be bang on. He usually has 3/4" but is sold out and won't have any for 2 to 3 months. I found another source last week but they only ship UPS. UPS from the USA charges us a $40.00 minimum brokerage fee on top of the shipping and taxes! Expensive tape. :( Saw lots of others on the net but they are not as close as this product. I even thought about buying the wider stuff, making a guide with a razor blade cutter and cutting it to the correct width.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Inch-Non-Adhesive-Dry-Vinyl-Wiring-Harness-Electrical-Tape-c-Packard-Delphi-/290781718894?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b3f0e96e&vxp=mtr

As for the vinyl for the loom tags, I THINK I found a product that is very close. Thickness is almost bang on, it's non adhesive and white. This guy is the only place I can find with 16 ft rolls and cheap. Everyone else has 100 ft rolls and they are very expensive. Problem is, this guy does not take questions on his Ebay sales so I can't get a shipping quote to Canada or ensure that he will ship via USPS and not the dreaded "Brown". (again that $40.00 brokerage fee)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360487534846

The joys of living in Canada. Some products are harder to find up here and shipping from the USA can sometimes be a pain. I'll keep digging. If anyone finds any sources please let me know. I would love to do up a repop 0400 harness ASAP and see if it passes the A.S.S. exam! ;)
[size=

UK Pete

• View Profile
Hi Wayne , i was looking through my file of receipts from my F2 restoration as i remembered using 19mm pvc non adhesive loom tape, here is the place i got it from www.vehicleproducts.co.uk

Pete

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Wayne , i was looking through my file of receipts from my F2 restoration as i remembered using 19mm pvc non adhesive loom tape, here is the place i got it from www.vehicleproducts.co.uk

Pete

Thanks Pete! Looks like they have a few items I need!  :)
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK, loom tape ordered, check, sleeving, check. Just have to get the 8 mil white vinyl for the tag and I'll be putting together my first 0400 harness. Fingers crossed. I'll be putting the tag to a few severe outdoor type tests. I think I'll even torture it in the Dishwasher and see what happens. ;) (not on Pot Scrubber cycle)
[size=