Honda CB750 Sandcast

DATE CODES

kp · 85 · 15857

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

Uli, does your tank have a stamp on it ?  So far, your crankcases have the earliest date followed by your frame parts.

Fuel tank says: 4 B 20

If "4" stands for 1969, that would be very early.

in some cases, i believe the alphabet letters are a conundrum for us.  Certainly, the "4" would suggest 1969.   and the "20" a day of the month.

But, the "B" has me wondering.  "B" = 2 =  February ?  

February 20, 1969 could be one interpretation of the code stamp.  (Too bad the letter is a B and not a Z or Q or M or something higher than an I......

if February 20, 1969, then to my way of logic, i would expect the tank to be a 19 liter.

imho, if "B" = February and tank is not 19 liter, feel free to challenge my opinion there is no way the factory would be making a 17 liter tank that early in production.  The factory had yet to learn the throttle cables fouled on the 19 liter tank. CB750-1000001 was finished being assembled March 1969.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Interesting...  The only way to know is to see a picture below of the gas tank....
Uli you know what you have to do !! ;)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:13:55 am by 4pots1969 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
...sure.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:17:46 pm by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
..I´m afraid no 19lt tank...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:37:47 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
So there are wrinkle tanks with letters/numbers and numbers-only

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,779.0.html

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:55:55 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Disappointing ... it's not a 19 liters.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
 Not disappointing at all (would be wrong on my # 1983) but not what we hoped to see to explain the "B".
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:39:27 pm by Sgt.Pinback »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Uli, your tank is the early version of the 17 liter; "double wrinkle" and raised area for the short neck fuel tap.  relatively uncommon part.

perhaps over time we can begin to establish some consistency with the codes on "sandcast" tanks.

the first thing i would make note of, is the position of the "." (dot.)  by that i mean, are there always the same number of characters in front of -or- behind the dot ?    are letters always before the dot or only after the dot ? ......or both ?

are there tanks with numbers only and no letters ?  

can we identify a tank with a double digit suggesting a 2 digit day of the month ?  tanks used on sandcast bikes "should" all have single digits (of a single letter) denoting the month....

using as one example the tank on 2157, it would seem a safe assumption the "4" denotes 1969 when applying the Showan calendar dating system.  the "4" is followed by a dot, followed by a "6" and a "4" again making an assumption the "6" = June and "4" = day 4 of June.  Does this mean, at least on tanks, the numeric sequence is always year, month and date ?

is the code an inspector mark after being tested for leaks......?  would all agree, we can assume there was more than one person inspecting tanks.....  did some inspectors use numbers and some inspectors use alphabet letters ?  Would the factory allow this variation in stamping practice......?  (seems the factory would not allow inconsistency in inspector code practice, but how would we ever know.....  ??? )

why would there be a alphabet letter used instead of all numbers ?  is the alphabet letter "always' in the "month position?"  if so, then the alphabet letter would be "A" through "I" (and tanks manufactured -after- September would be lettered "J" and higher..... ??? )

what would stampings look like in the case of a 2 digit date, for example, 4 . 6 10....... ?

Anyway, what a great thread with great participation.  Great thread started by KP !  these codes and the distinctions seen in same parts of various parts has always intrigued/excited me.  

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
...sure.

so, in regards to my previous post, we have a "4" a "B" a dot and a "20"  (two stamps before and two stamps after the dot)

Does this date translate to February 20, 1969 ?  i honestly don't see how that is possible, given CB750-1000001 rolled of assembly line March 15, 1969.  But.........  what do i know, except i know that i don't know !   19 liter tanks were used on approximately the first less than 500 vins.  Uli's vin is significantly (more than 3 times higher than 500)

HOW COULD THE FACTORY BE PRODUCING 17 LITER TANKS ON FEBRUARY 20, WHICH WOULD BE APPROXIMATELY 25 DAYS -BEFORE-
CB750-1000001 CAME OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE MARCH 15  ??? ??? ??? ???

if the factory KNEW throttle cables would foul the underside of the 19 liter tank, why would the factory fit 19 liter tanks and not 17 liter tanks, thereby placing the factory at risk potential liability when 19 liter tanks fouled the throttle cables and 17 liter cables did not...... ???  ??? ??? ???  using this logic, i cannot believe the code on Uli's early 17 liter tank denotes February 20, 1969.  (2 early 17 liter tanks i recently sold, both had June  dates. )

this code stampings very much fall in to the category of "sandcast fever" crazy making  :o :o :o :o

i imagine we'll hear soon from KP and hopefully............  OTHERS  ;D ;D ;D ;D

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

i imagine we'll hear soon from KP and hopefully............  OTHERS  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have not ever seen alpha codes on any wrinkle tank until I saw a tank for sale a month or so back by a seller in ???Norway/Denmark??? which had a B code. Now I see another tank with an Alpha stamp "B" Uli. you mentioned that your sandcast did not have the original tank. Did you by any chance buy that tank on eBay  If not then there are 2 tanks in Europe with a B stamped on the underside Interesting  :o
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here is a photo of the tank that was listed on eBay by a seller in Norway (I think Norway) It's the top photo red tank. The bracket on this tank is the same as the bracket on the tank Uli has. Note that the edge above the date stamps is flat. Both flat bracket tanks in the photos (Uli and Norway tanks) have the B stamp. All my Sandcast tanks have a "cut out" along this edge See photo 2 for two of my sandcast tanks. Photo 3 is a tank owned by another member which also has the cut out
Very interesting  ???
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here is a photo of the RH side shock off VIN 28. I might suggest that we have C, H, N so far. We need to get some more shock codes and corresponding frame numbers to make anything from this
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Uli, i have made a mistake.  Looking at your tank again, it appears the later version 17 liter.  it's kind of hard to tell in pictures, appears there are wrinkles on the sides, but a closer look, there are no no wrinkles on the side.  My apologies for creating misunderstanding.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I found the listing of that wrinkle tank which has the B code The date is 4 B * 21 and Uli's is 4 B * 20 so different tanks So we now have 2 wrinkle tanks with a B stamp These are later tanks to sandcast wrinkle tanks IMHO. Remember that wrinkle tanks were used well into 5 digit frame numbers
Also listing was from Netherlands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB750-K0-sandcast-genuine-wrinkle-tank-1969-with-original-cap-/122093346036?vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=bjpvAo3dKxJwkKOZGTc6wKi7xYs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:46:44 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
So "4B" can't be February 1969.
As "H" can't be August 1969 and "N" can't be a month anyway.