Honda CB750 Sandcast

1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration

UK Pete · 135 · 64357

markb

• View Profile
This thread has had 275 visits
I agree with Wayne.  This is a small group compared to sites like the SOHC4.  I think 275 views in a little less than a month shows plenty of interest.  By the way Pete, I saw that you started a thread on the SOHC4 site.  Good idea.  I have my #97 restoration thread there too.  
Mark
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:25:31 am by markb »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

jkp2240

• View Profile
Pete
As a Newbie myself to the sandcast world, I watch and learn. Your post is excellent along with all the great pics, please keep up the good work!
John

kmb69

• View Profile
I usually check the forum for "unread posts" twice a day and 9 times out of 10 get an empty response. It does not dampen my interest. If you consider there were only 7414 made, and a little less than 400 accounted for, and some of us own more than 1, it is a SMALL population. Most of us have a job and may not be as judicious and giving of our time as are Mark, Wayne, Pete, and previously others.

Thank you guys for taking the interest and especially your precious time to post as often as you do. This is THE PLACE for Sandcast / K0 information. I see this forum as more of a technical repository than a FaceBook what happened in my life today gig. Personally I like it like that. You have to read literally 100's of posts on SOHC to glean a tidbit of value.

The guys on SOHC are great but they generally think we are crazy to revere the Sandcast as we do and could care less about what changes were made between 232 and 233. Not sure why some may feel inimidated on/by this forum. I know I have probably posted some less than postworthy comments and have never received any criticism unless I am just too dumb to recognize it as such. You can get FLAMED in a hurry over on SOHC if you have less than 5000 posts most of which are useless. IMHO

Thanks Pete, keep up the good work.

Keith

UK Pete

• View Profile
Wayne , i do understand its a small site and even more so now i have read the stats,  i suppose my point was more that 275 views 2 replies 0 words of encouragement, made me wonder if i was in the right place
but hey to be honest i got out the wrong side of bed and typed it out before giving it much thought

Mark , i have recently read through lots of your restoration posts on SOHC4 and really have learnt lots, I will keep up my postings of this restoration both here and the sohc forums

John thanks for the kind words just a couple of posts like yours is all i meant thanks

Keith , wise words and thanks for the encouragment

Pete

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Pete, i appreciate the fact you are doing much of the work youself, i.e., zinc plating, i will assume probably painting.. 

We have a very fine core of participating members who don't flaunt their egotism by talking down or taunting other BB participants.

There's anumber of of BB on any given website, but very few actual participting members.

People that really are interested in things sandcast, do, over time stick; even though they may have periods where their particiaption on the B waxes and wanes.  Or, perhaps, i should speak for my self; i've been doing more waning than waxing !

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey Pete,
I'm one of those 275 views and read every thread posted on this site and just like Keith, visit every day (well almost every day :-[ ) Don't be disillusioned. The lack of posted comments doesn't mean we are not taking an interest cos we are. As Steve said, participation waxes and wanes and some just enjoy taking in the various threads and comments without feeling the need to post. Keep the posts coming. KP  ;)
Yabba Dabba KP

UK Pete

• View Profile
Yes i understand and i am usually the last person  to say negative things on a forum,
I am glad people are interested it keeps my enthusiasm up, so here are some more bits i done today

The metalwork of the front footpegs was powdercoated, i zinc/nickle plated the pins,and washers, also seeing as new rubber is quite cheap i thought it would be rude not to so they got finished off with the new rubbers

markb

• View Profile
Very impressive on the plating!  I've thought about trying to do that but I've got plenty to do the way it is.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pete
I'm going to take this opportunity to chime in and say thanks for your contribution to the site. I think everything has been said that needs to be said about our groups participation. Now, onto that zinc! I forgot some pieces when i had mine done, and I am unhappy with other bits. Care to do them for me?? J.K.! Nice job doing it yourself! :)
[size=

UK Pete

• View Profile
Thanks for the comments

I forgot to post the pictures of my frame and various bits after they had been to the powder coaters, so here they are,

I sent the frame swingarm and battery box back as i felt the finish was quite poor compared to when i last had one done, this is the photo of the parts first time round you cant see the finish clearly

Here is one when i got them back after being re-done, i am much happier now

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Pete, you seem to be making great progress. Keep posting, always good to see how someone else tackles various problems. I see "my" K1 is still looking good (in an un-restored sort of way). F2 real nice too ( I like them ALL, even though my sandcasts are at the heart of the obsession)

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

UK Pete

• View Profile
Hi Chris, it would be rude not to sneak in some of my other SOHC's in the back ground, especially your old K1, i have only managed a few rides on it this year due to that nasty bike accident i had, but when i eventually did get back on,  there was a huge grin on my face , as i roared through the neighbourhood with them delightfull HM300's
Pete

slyguy

• View Profile
Nice job Pete, very inspiring. I like how you do most things yourself too. How'd you do that zinc coating, is it difficult or dangerous? I recently acquired my ko which is the same as yours :) don't forget to replace that skinny inferior output shaft bearing and the shaft too! Lots of failures, I believe the dbl.roller bearing started with K2..or K3....
bone stock 4/70-103xxxx

UK Pete

• View Profile
Hi slyguy thanks for the comments, Zinc plating can be very temperamental, i have found many problems when doing it , so many things can go wrong and ruin the set up, i am going to write up on my experiences and give some tips on how to do it, but i have to say it is very satisfying when you do it yourself, if you read the warnings on the chemicals it makes you wonder how harmful the stuff is, do it in a ventilated area and always wear gloves and it shoild be ok

What is with this skinny output bearing and shaft, is it a must to change it?   i have not read of anyone doing this change,

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

What is with this skinny output bearing and shaft, is it a must to change it?   i have not read of anyone doing this change,

I'm curious on this one as well. I was thinking of replacing the shaft on 576 as it seems a bit worn and I was hoping it might tighten up some of the sprocket "wobble". Of course I was going to do the brg's along with it.
[size=