Honda CB750 Sandcast

Restoration of Sandcast #97

markb · 814 · 284144

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good Morning Mr Swan  ;D. I'm always visiting the forum but I just don't have much to say these days. It's good to see the regular interest being shown by the group and the new information emerging. I'm also a big fan or Mark's project as I am with your many projects  :o. I realise Mark's restoration relates to a very low VIN but I reckon every restorer out there can get something from these regular postings; I know I certainly do.  :D
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
Completely bluffing...  It is hard to believe that they are the same oil lines...:o :o
Very good job!! And good product!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:32:36 am by 4pots1969 »

markb

• View Profile
Excellent question.  I guess I thought is was odd that the cap was gold.  I checked on line It turns out that the Bright Coat Metallic Finish comes in three colors: aluminum, gold and chrome.  I checked my can and it is the chrome. 
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

markb

• View Profile
I haven’t posted for a while and unfortunately I’m way behind on my posts.  But I have a good explanation.  I was hoping that I would have assembly mostly completed by fall so I could start and ride it for a bit before putting it away and working on some final details over the winter. 

So then I was contacted by the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.  They have been closed for renovation for a while and will be reopening December 6.  They are going to have an exhibition of 18 different bikes on display and asked me if I would loan them #97. :o Of course I was flattered but the thought of not having the bike around was a bit unnerving.  However, it didn’t take me long to change my mind.  It’s not every day that one gets an opportunity like this.

After that I spent just about every spare minute working on it and as a result I did finish the assembly.  I actually may not have without the extra pressure.  I did run out of time to fire it up but decided that wasn’t a bad thing because then I won’t have to worry about gas in the tank and carbs.  I was also hoping to get some really decent pics before it got picked up.  That will have to wait too. 

So here is the (temporarily) finished project.

I just hope it’s up to the standard that the museum expects.

They sent an awfully big truck to pick it up.

It is a little scary seeing it being loaded up to be hauled away.

Fortunately they definitely know what they’re doing.

One thing I have learned is it’s not as much fun when there is a deadline but I am very happy I got it is far as I did and now I’m ready for a little break from it.  I aleady have a short list of things I want to do when she comes back that I’ll post later. 

So now that the pressure is off I will take some time to post some of the pics I took over the summer.  And it’s not like I don’t have anything else to keep me busy.  I have #576 that I would like to have finished by spring.  We’ll see how that goes.  ::)  And of course I’m planning on going out to visit #97 maybe in January or February.  ;D

One more thing.  I’d like thank Steve, KP and Sam for helping me out with some last minute details on the handlebar controls.  I was really struggling with making them perfect and it wouldn’t have turned out nearly as good without they’re help.
Mark B

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks absolutely beautiful Mark. You should be very proud.

I think we can all agree that the anodizing on those controls really makes the bike! Ha! (kidding)

Seriously though, great work. Nice to know that your bike will be appreciated by thousands of people now!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Congratulations Mark on an amazing restoration. I think I speak for all when I say it's sad to see this journey end. The final accolade for you is being asked to display your finished bike at the Petersen Museum, so you should be very proud of your achievement. Well done mate.
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
The journey is not quite over yet.  I still need to fire it up.  I have to hear what those Lotus Roots sound like.  Also there are few details I need to do/redo when she comes back.  For one, I am going to try to refurbish a wire harness this winter (I used a new -050 one for now).  I'll post the rest of the list later.
Mark B

markb

• View Profile
Is everyone able to see the pictures that I posted above?  I got a message from a member who says he can only see small square boxes.  I can see them fine.  What could be the problem?
Mark B

cb7504

• View Profile
The pictures are loading up fine. Excellent looking machine, job well done. Nice looking red plug key and ignition assembly. Marty K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Congratulations Mark on a beautiful  job.  Must be a bit of a let down to have become so intimate with "her" and then "she" "runs out" on ya. Will be nice that you can see your bike in January !

Garry32

• View Profile
Wow Mark peeeerfection looks superb, I see what you mean with the size of the courier vehicle.
As you can tell the photos opened up on my iMac ok but not the iPad ??
Well done again Garry :) :)

4pots1969

• View Profile
Mark... Hats off!!
Your 97/100 is for me " THE REFERENCE "...
And for the Museum... Relaxing... Because everything will be okay.
Is that of happiness!! ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:12:30 pm by 4pots1969 »

kenhan

• View Profile
Absolutely pefect and beautiful! Congratulations!

You inspired me with your meticulous restoration and perfect pictures when I did #5128 (now in traffic and also looks good).

Can´t wait to see pictures from the Peterson museum!

/Ken
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5084 - running
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5128 - Running
1970 CB750 next project
1975 K2 (K3-5 don´t exist in Sweden) - Running
1981 Goldwing 1100 Interstate

UK Pete

• View Profile
Well done mark, i dont think you need worry about the standard they expect , i can honestly say your attention to detail is about the best i have seen from anyone, thats a great looking bike
pete